In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hornaday Bullet Puller Failure

truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2017 in Ask the Experts
Yesterday the Hornaday cam-lock bullet puller I ordered from Cabelas arrived. After pulling less than 50 .38 caliber bullets with it, it is WORN OUT!! The cam on the handle wore into the top of the plunger creating a burr that jammed the plunger. Certainly not the kind of quality I used to find in Hornaday products.
Anybody know of a reliable, high quality bullet puller? How about the RCBS?

Comments

• Options
    ammo guyammo guy Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ran into the same problem with this puller, contact Hornady and they will replace the necessary parts free. I have found you need to lightly lube the moving part to keep it from seizing.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also have a cam actuated bullet puller. Don't recall the maker? As I haven't used it for awhile, and it's in storage. It's the model that requires a different collet. For different diameter bullets.

Have had good luck with it, and it has stood up. Much easier to use, than the older models. That required a wrench to tighten the collet, on each individual bullet.

I'll dig through my stash. If it's not made by Hornady? I 'll let you know. Maybe another manufacturer, makes a more durable model?
  • Options
    spiritsspirits Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I initially used the RCBS bullet puller with the collets and it worked fine but kind of slow. So I tried the impact inertia type and managed to break it after using it a few hundred times. Finally, I decided to go back to the RCBS bullet puller even though you do have to use the different sized collets - much better choice.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Think I have or used almost every type there is. Kinetic, collet, camming and none are perfect and they all are slow. Still have RCBS, CH, HDY, and several impact types.

Lately I purchased a GRIP-N-PULL which I am having great success with. Can pull a mess of bullets faster than the rest. The only shortfall I can see is it requires considerable strength to hold heavily crimped bullets.

Do a search for GRIP-N-PULL bullet puller and check it out. I do not know how to post a link.
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by chiefr
    Think I have or used almost every type there is. Kinetic, collet, camming and none are perfect and they all are slow. Still have RCBS, CH, HDY, and several impact types.

Lately I purchased a GRIP-N-PULL which I am having great success with. Can pull a mess of bullets faster than the rest. The only shortfall I can see is it requires considerable strength to hold heavily crimped bullets.

Do a search for GRIP-N-PULL bullet puller and check it out. I do not know how to post a link.

I too have the http://grip-n-pull.com/ and it works as advertised. It does leave a light mark on some of the bullets pulled but still serviceable.

Grip-N-Pull_zps1fr50sg1.jpg
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spirits
    I initially used the RCBS bullet puller with the collets and it worked fine but kind of slow. So I tried the impact inertia type and managed to break it after using it a few hundred times. Finally, I decided to go back to the RCBS bullet puller even though you do have to use the different sized collets - much better choice.
    Hornady and RCBS will replace your worn out broken stuff FREE, even if you are not the original first time owner.

That is why I buy their products.
    They will also send you free replacement collets (which wear out) for their inertia pullers. I also use the RCBS collet bullet puller, but I prefer the inertia so as the bullet are not distorted.
    I've test fired distorted bullets that were pulled with the collet type RCBS puller and was surprised that they still grouped good.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an old RCBS kinetic puller, that has disassembled hundreds of rounds for use of component's, and a good many mistakes...it is still going strong. Learn how to use it, and it will not break. It must be able to bounce when it strikes a hard surface, so don't gorilla grip it.