In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ammo ???

Aztngundoc22Aztngundoc22 Member Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭
edited February 2017 in Ask the Experts
I have been seeing a variety of ammo that has a green tip, yellow tip, black tip etc. Can anybody give me a site or list of what each color tip represents. I know for example that 223 with green tip is SS109 and has a steel core in the bullet, but I am uncertain what all of the different colors represent. Any help and info would be great. Thanks
The more people I meet : The more I like my Dog :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I Grew Old Too Fast (And Smart Too damn Slow !!!) !!! :o :?

Comments

• Aztngundoc22Aztngundoc22 Member Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK :

Had a guy I know ask me this Monday :

What if I shoot a .357 sig in a .40 s&w cal. pistol ????????

My first response was : Dont try this @ home !!!!!!

I know what all ( may ) happen : ???

Any thoughts ???

Thanks !!!

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    most likely you would be able to watch the smaller bullet go down range at very low velocity . BUT MY #1rule is shoot the ammo the gun was meant to shoot
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did it by mistake, already.[:0] Forgot to switch out 40 S & W barrel in my G 27. Took me 3 rounds to figure out what was wrong.[xx(] Was one of my senior moment days.

Nothing happens. The 357 brass shoulder, is blown out to resemble 40 S & W. The slide doesn't function. Needless to say, the target wasn't hit. No damage to either me or the pistol.

If you had nothing else than 357 SIG ammo, with a pistol chambered for 40 S & W. In a SHTF situation. As long as you manually operated the slide, and were in a couple of feet of the target. Guaranteed, you would ruin his or hers day.
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since there is only about 1mm between the .357 and the .40, there should easily be enough velocity to kill but crappy accuracy because the bullet is not getting spun properly by the rifling.

In almost every academy class we run there is a recruit who shoots 9mm in a .40 or .40 in a .45. The same thing happens in each case. A weird pop sound instead of the loud report and no accuracy. The cases expand and split. As Rufe mentioned, no guns damaged and no one hurt.
  • Aztngundoc22Aztngundoc22 Member Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ok :

Same results as Ive seen as a range instructor ,,,,

But : Not a good thing ......

Thanks !!!