In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

357 sig

combatinccombatinc Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
edited February 2017 in Ask the Experts
ok thoughts on the 357 sig round and I narrowed it down to 2 choices the glock 32 gen4 or the sig sp2022 which you can still buy new on GunBroker thoughts everyone ??

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    would like to know what gun would be recommended for the 357 sig round
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Does any one have pros or cons on this round? Or has anyone heard of a rifle/carbine that is being designed for it. The specs I have seen look pretty impressive on the round.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sig 239...best 357 Sig Platform on the planet.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My G 27 with 357 SIG barrel, (same as G 33) works perfectly. G 32 is the next size up. Same,same, as G 19.

I believe though the 357 SIG rounds benefit, from being fired from a longer barreled pistol. Significant muzzle blast and velocity loss, from the short barreled pistols. Might consider a G 31 or even a G 35, with a Lone Wolf 357 SIG barrel. The 35 has a barrel length, of almost 5 1/2 inches.
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,455 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    Sig 239...best 357 Sig Platform on the planet.

Very happy with the one I have
  • Options
    M1A762M1A762 Member Posts: 3,426
    edited November -1
    The Glock 32 can be changed to .40 S&W and 9mm by swapping barrels. The 9mm conversion needs G19 or G17 magazines.

Lightweight, lots of aftermarket supports, cheap magazines and shoot great. Go with the Glock.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I see why people are attracted to this, but IMO 357 SIG is over-rated.

On its own merits its a good round. Ballistically its like a 9mm +P+. A little more powerful than the best 9mm +P ammo, and a little weaker than a good 357 magnum.

But still, effectively its just a necked down 40. So it fires smaller weight lower caliber bullets a bit faster. Yes, it can shoot a bit flatter, but if you aren't firing at long distances (ie >50 yards) that's not really an advantage. Ballistics of low weight 40SW rounds and high weight 357 SIG are nearly identical.

Vs 9mm luger, you'll get maybe another 100fps vs the best of the 9mm+P rounds, but lower capacity, harder to find, more recoil, and slightly more expensive ammo.

I don't think the tradeoff is worth it for most shooters.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have carried a Sig P-229 for duty and a P-239 for off-duty since 1997. I replaced the S&W 645 I had been carrying and never felt under-gunned. Finally retired in '07 and still carry the the P-239 daily.
  • Options
    MPinkstonMPinkston Member Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bought a Glock 33 many years ago. It was a handfull to shoot. I later traded it for a Sig 239 and never looked back. I LOVE that 239!