In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Federal Hydro-Shok

asopasop Member Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2017 in Ask the Experts
Opinions? Marketed as a personal defense, low recoil expanding round?? They run about $1.00 or more a round!

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hydro-Shok's have been around for a long time. They were one of the first "trick" personal protection bullets on the market.

Large hollow point bullet. With a internal "Post" in the hollow point, that is supposed to initiate rapid and positive expansion.

Nothing at all wrong with them. They have a substantial record of one shot stops. With a correct center of mass impact.

If your going to be shooting them from a semi-auto? Be sure that the big hollow point, will feed and function without hanging up. I personally have had feed problems, with large flat nosed H-P's, in some of my semi-autos.
  • Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Years ago I fired different 45 acp rounds into soaking wet newspapers. (Poor man's ballistic gel.) Other brands expanded to various sizes. However, the Hydra-Shocks could have been reloaded & used again.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Toolman286
    Years ago I fired different 45 acp rounds into soaking wet newspapers. (Poor man's ballistic gel.) Other brands expanded to various sizes. However, the Hydra-Shocks could have been reloaded & used again.

There is a lot of videos on you tube, referencing bullet expansion in ballistic gel. Using the FBI protocol, of 4 layers of denim covering the gel. Probably best for the OP to check out the ones, using Federal Hydro-Shoks.
  • Options
    ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've seen LOTS of real life results (Not gelatin, in Balto...'nuff said on that subject.), with proper shot placement they definitely function as designed.
    "...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If they do not feed properly, try Corbon Power Ball.
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are different versions of Federal H.S the latest being the HST. I received three cases of 9mm 124gr +P HST's as well as .45 acp 230gr in the store yesterday. I think you can't go wrong with the HST or Speer Gold Dot rounds as your carry ammo.
    You still need to shoot enough rounds through your guns to insure proper function and accuracy.What's enough? Some say 100 - 200 rounds which can get expensive. It's your life so you get to decide.
    Just remember there is no "magic bullet". Bullet placement is everything.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by asop
    Opinions? Marketed as a personal defense, low recoil expanding round?? They run about $1.00 or more a round!

They're Federals' take on the "premium" personal defense round. So that's a bit more velocity than standard practice/ball ammo, and supposedly a high quality expanding bullet.

Are they any good?

I think they're better than cheap practice/ball ammo. I've carried them.

Are they better than say, 10 other similar products by similar manufacturers? I don't believe so.

Claims of "low recoil" are necessarily BS. You can't reduce recoil without reducing either bullet weight or velocity or both. IE, reducing recoil is probably going to reduce terminal performance as well. I don't want "low recoil" defense ammo. I want "normal" or even perhaps "increased" recoil defense ammo!

At the end of the day, you've got bullets of identical weight and diameter being launched at similar or identical velocities. (Some of the 'hyper-premium' +P or +P+ ammo does launch a bit faster).

Any difference in performance is going to comes down solely to bullet construction. And while I won't argue that there is "no" difference between the various ammo makers premium bullets, I'm pretty skeptical that this difference is large enough to make any real difference.

As always, 98% of it is putting the bullet in the right place to begin with. If you don't do that, no bullet is going to "work", and if you can do it, it almost doesn't matter which bullet you use.

Edit (Responding to below:
    Yes, Federal calls this ammo "Hydra-Shok" TRADEMARK!
    They, also, apparently, have trademarked the term "personal defense". So nobody else can use the term "personal defense" in marketing ammunition. Yes. . .seriously. . .stop laughing.

124gr_hydra.jpg

The implication here, is that Federal's ammo causes "hydrostatic shock", which is an effect where impact of a super-high velocity round causes a disproportionately large or even distant from impact-site injury due to the non-compressible nature of fluid (contained in tissue).

I believe that hydrostatic shock has been medically established as a real effect. It certainly CAN happen that a wound in one part of the chest can cause injury elsewhere. The problem is that this effect is almost always associated with high velocity RIFLE ammunition. I don't think its ever been established that ordinary handgun ammo can do it, let alone on a regular/reliable basis. I certainly wouldn't believe claims that a. Federal's "Hydra-shok" handgun ammo can do this at all b. let alone on a reliable basis , and c. better than anyone else's ballistically similar ammo.

Bottom line: Yes, I do think its a good idea to use one of the premium "personal protection" (see what I did there) ammos for self-defense. You certainly could use Federals Hydra-shok brand but Speer, Winchester, Nosler, Hornady, Barnes, Black Hills, Remington, Corbon, and at least several others all also have their own versions of this type of product and I'm skeptical that Federal's version is really much (or any) better than the others. From a pure ballistics standpoint, some of the ammo makers do put out "hotter" ammo. . .whether or not its desirable to use that is a different question, left for a different thread.

If you're like most shooters, you'll end up carrying the personal defense ammo, and practicing with it enough to establish that it works fine in your gun and to become familiar with it, then spending most of your practice time/money on cheaper ammo.
  • Options
    Aztngundoc22Aztngundoc22 Member Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK :

They was my 'carry ammo' for years , seen real life results ! They Work !!!

Always thought they was federal hyd"A"-shoks ??????

Thanks !!!
    The more people I meet : The more I like my Dog :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I Grew Old Too Fast (And Smart Too damn Slow !!!) !!! :o :?
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe that Federal's use of the term/brand "Hydra-Shok" was part of the purchase of the copyright or patent when they purchased the Hydra-Shok company who were marketing a .38 spl load they called the "Scorpion", which was basically a hollow based wadcutter loaded backwards to form a giant hollowpoint. The problem they encountered was that the cavity was so large it became unstable very quickly and accuracy was poor. To prevent this they put the post in the center to prevent too much air being scooped in while still having the full-caliber skirt for expansion. The ad-guys took the position that the post diverted body fluid "Hydra" against the inner side walls of the cavity and aided expansion. We used them for years in the SoCal agency where I worked and the most massive expansion I saw was a .45 that went 1.06" at its widest point - no bones hit. There are other high performance loads out there and they do a good job, in most cases. Select the one that works best for you and your weapon. Expect to pay $1.00+ per round, but if it keeps you or someone else alive, whats a buck?
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    HydrAshok's are the go to for the majority of law enforcement agencies. I have a feeling it is for a couple reasons...one being that they are on "State Bid" contract pricing, and two they do a good job of holding up to their claims.

Not saying that they are better than the Speer Deep Curl's, or the Remington Golden Saber's, or the Winchester Black Talon, or whatever it is that Winchester calls them now.

First off make sure your firearm functions with them flawlessly, and with decent accuracy, then let your wallet decide which one is best for you.