In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt 1911A1 Marking Font question...

AdventureTimeAdventureTime Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
edited February 2017 in Ask the Experts
Hello, All!

I'm curious if there were different fonts used in the lettering/numbering on the slide/frame of Colt 1911A1's. Namely, those made in 1917. From what I can tell, there were two different fonts used?

Please advise!

Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by AdventureTime
    Hello, All!

I'm curious if there were different fonts used in the lettering/numbering on the slide/frame of Colt 1911A1's. Namely, those made in 1917. From what I can tell, there were two different fonts used?

Please advise!

Thank you!

1911A1's weren't made in 1917.

I would advise getting a copy of Clawson's 1911 and 1911A1 .45 Service Pistols book. It will tell you everything you will ever want to know about them.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mr King's advice is good.

Probably the appropriate (& affordable) version of the Clawson book for beginners is "Collector's Guide to Colt .45 Service Pistols Models of 1911 and 1911A1" THIRD EDITION, 146 pages.

But, to answer your question directly, yes, slide markings changed in 1917 from Roman with serifs to sanserif block.

Neal
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    yes there were many changes in slide markings on colt built 1911 & 1911A1 pistol barrel markings and many changes on safety Slide stops triggers ETC ETC the list go on & on as collectors look for pistols with matching parts of the correct vintage lots of pistols are mis matched
  • Options
    AdventureTimeAdventureTime Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you both! I miss spoke (miss typed) it is not a 1911A1, just a 1911. I just haven't seen one with this font on the gun. I just purchased the book from amazon. Thanks!
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    editjust checked all my books and Yes CLAWSON big book is the gold standard of all things 1911 and the collector book of his is Fair to good However when it comes to the narrowed subject MARKINGS Don't over look a book ISBN-882391-46-2d BY JOE POYER edited by CRAIG RIESCH IT HAS a whole section on MARKINGS. I made some costly mistakes
    When first starting to getting into into building up 1911 & 1911A! pistols and modifying original guns to turn them into target NRA type bulls-EYE Pistols I don't know what is worst #1 buying a pistol you think is a correct all original pistol and finding out it is a put together PARTS gun or Buying a 1911 that you think is a knock off pistol from a less than quality 1911 maker drilling holes in the slide to Mount Target RIB sights and throwing original grips away to put thumb rest grips on the frame ETC TRUST ME I HAVE DONE BOTH . one such most likely cost me over $10,000 in damage to a RARE PISTOL