In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Suppressor question

dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2017 in Ask the Experts
Taking the dive into a suppressor world. No experience with them, only word of mouth.
Looking seriously at .30 cal Silencerco Harvester model and one in .223 also.
My question is.
Is better to get a suppressor that is caliber specific as in to be used on a .284 bullet or to get one such as a .30 caliber and expect it to be used on various rifles from .243 to .300 H&H?
Let's hear what the fellows in the know have to say before I drop a bunch of coin and begin my 6 to 8 month wait.

Mule

Comments

• dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey guys I had a couple of questions, a buddy of mine is thinking about buying a suppressor for his XD-9 17. The one he wants is called an "osprey suppressor" from a company called SilencerCo. I've never heard of them before, he also said that the suppressors are interchangeable for calibers, as in you can put a sleeve in that fits a .40 or 45 which again I have never heard of, and I don't understand how you could do that without taking the silencer apart and replacing all the rings on the inside to fit tightly, he said that all you have to do is slide the new sleeve in and that's that. I'm not too knowledgeable when it comes to silencers, but that didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. So long story short I was wondering if anyone had heard of this company and heard of silencers that are interchangeable like that. From my understanding a Silencer is custom tailored for one specific round, he also thinks that he can swap it between his XD9 and an his Glock 17 which again I don't think you can do, as even though the rounds are both 9mm, the barrels themselves could be different as far as thickness and what not.. Sorry for the long rambling.. Anyways Any input would be greatly appreciated..
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since we are limited to 10 responses on this forum, let me suggest that you do some reading first. There have been many discussions of this topic (mostly on the GD forum); so, you want to do a SEARCH on all forums on the search word SUPPRESSOR.

Many years ago, when I knew nothing about suppressors, a friend asked me to go to the range with him to try out his new suppressor. He had put a threaded barrel on a new Beretta 92, bought the suppressor & a box of 9mm, & figured that he was ready. The first round was so loud, we both had to put our ears on. And, the Beretta's slide didn't move; the slide needed to be racked ---- for every round. Friend said, "that didn't work like I'd hoped". He fired the entire box of ammo with the same results, took the gun & suppressor home, & didn't use either since then.

So, the lesson is: When it comes to suppressors, research everything before you buy anything.

Neal
  • PdogPdog Member Posts: 291 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the silencerco harvester that I use on my 6.5 creedmoor it works. Its hearing safe but was hoping a little quieter. The harvester will work with both will probably need two adapters. Since AR's are threaded different then most 30 cals. Not sure if the 300 H&H is bigger then 300wm which is what I think harvester is rated to. My brother will be getting his Dakota silencer 30 cal just need to pick it up so will have another 30 cal to compare it to soon but the Dakota was twice the money. I haven't seen to many that are that caliber specific. I have seen 6.5,30,338,50 and 223 ones. But I am sure I haven't seen them all. Silencer shop is where I looked at alot. Hardest part is the ones we are getting back this week took 9 months or so to get back with trust.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a .30 cal Harvester that I use on .223, 6x45mm, 6.8SPC, and 300AAC. It does OK but I think there are quieter options for the small calibers. Do some reading on the Harvester before you make the final decision. There are some restrictions of barrel length, cartridge size, and rate of fire. Doesn't seem to be a problem with a .223 on a MSR for hunting but I'm not quite up to full-auto speed on running yoties.
    We chose the Harvester as a "do it all" can but I got the itch for a dedicated .223 can that's rated down to 10" and have been waiting on the Form 4 since mid-2016.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dpmule,

While I agree with what Neal points out, you should always feel free to start a 'Part 2' or a 'Continuation' thread if you think that there is more information to be had from the members. This makes the limit a non-issue unless it becomes contentious for some silly reason...Unlikely here.[:D]

Second, most of these discussions will involve someone who will state that the cost of suppressors will come down when they are removed from the NFA list. I have never seen an example of any manufactured product reduced in price because of legislation changes. Do you really think that a manufacturer like SilencerCo. will start charging less if this happens? You're kidding yourself. Go visit their factory and observe the millions of dollars invested in robotic equipment and personel to make those cans and then tell me that they will start charging less. The money you will save is the $200.00 tax stamp.

I have had the great good fortune to test and use several dozen different suppressors on rifles from .223 Rem. through the .50 BMG. I've even competed with them on occasion. That's when they really shine in my opinion. When more folks show up to a match with suppressors, we'll really be in tall cotton. The overall effect will be incredible.

The Harvester is an excellent suppressor, it's very flexible and has a reasonable price point for the .30 cal. version. I also agree with the idea of getting a separate suppressor for the .223 cartridges since the larger Harvester will not be as efficient as a dedicated model. Plus, you really don't want the weight of the Harvester hanging off the end of your little .223 barrel.[;)]

Caliber specific suppressors would be great except for the cost, of course. But, if you give credence to the current studies done by outsides sources, the loss of efficiency will generally run just a few dBA with each reduction of caliber. Not much in realm of real world performance but it can be noticeable to the shooter and bystanders.

I found for myself that I prefer to use caliber specific cans for the .22 cal., .30 cal., .338 Lapua and the .50 BMG. The rest are usually handled with O.K. results by the .30 cal. cans.

Keep the thread going if you feel that there is more to discuss.

Best.

ADDED:

barrett_m107_a1_suppress_4.jpg

Model: Barrett QDL Suppressor
    Caliber: .50 BMG
    Length Added: 12.73" (32.23 cm)
    Diameter: 2.5" (6.35 cm)
    Length: 14.84" (37.69 cm) without detachable auxiliary muzzle brake
    Weight: 4.88 lbs (2.21 kg)
    Finish: Black or FDE CerakoteT
    Total Decibel Reduction: 23 dB
    Mount: Quick Detach 1/4 Turn Lock Ring
    Materials: 4130 Steel

QDL Suppressors (NFA ITEM)

The Barrett Quick Detach Large (QDL) Suppressors are made of heat treated high strength alloys and incorporate a 360 degree welded core to make it the safest large bore suppressor on the market.
    The suppressor mounts to the rifle by simply sliding it over the adapter mount muzzle brake and rotating the locking collar. The QDL also features an auxiliary two-port muzzle brake for reduced
    recoil when firing suppressed. The QDL is designed to work with the M107A1 rifle and also with the M95 and M99 once the accessory adapter mount is installed on the barrel.
    NOT TO BE USED ON THE M82A1 RIFLE.

QDL suppressors include a MOLLE carrying case and a mirage mitigating cover.
    QDL Suppressor (NFA Item), Black, Up to .50 BMG (Suppressor Adapter
    Required)

$2,978

QDL Suppressor (NFA Item), Flat Dark Earth, Up to .50 BMG (Suppressor
    Adapter Required)

Best.
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    "Doc" Dater used to homebrew suppressors in Los Lunas years ago, and the FFL I used at that time was a retired Gunny that worked with him. I got to shoot (test) some fairly exotic (to me, anyway) can designs in various calibers. A few dB difference is noticeable, especially if you're shooting through a 36" concrete culvert.
    He taught me a formula ( that I wrote down & can't find anymore) for estimating the volume of gas produced by a cartridge, which sets the interior dimensions of the can.
    I can't imagine how much a suppressor for the 50 BMG would weigh!