In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Want a spotting scope I can see .17wmr at 200 yard

dannejdannej Member Posts: 478 ✭✭✭
edited February 2017 in Ask the Experts
Anyone have a spotting scope they would recommend with this capability? Anyone have a scope that is crystal clear at 40X plus?

Thinking of getting a high end scope, but am afraid it won't be that much better then a cheaper scope at higher magnification.....

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dannej,

quote:Anyone have a scope that is crystal clear at 40X plus?

All of the best glass is 'crystal clear' at 40x. (Under Ideal Circumstances). The problem is that in most situations when looking through the air between you and your target, you're 'stacking' the air by virtue of the magnification. Any particulate matter in the air will contribute to the lack of clarity. This includes, but is not limited to, water molecules and dust. Mirage is probably the single biggest destroyer of clarity for this sport.

Then, too, you have to say that you're asking about seeing the smallest bullet hole that most of us shoot.

I would take the opportunity to look through as many pieces of glass as you can arrange. We all see differently so only you can judge what is best for you. However, as a suggestion, the best glass with the best coatings will provide the best view.

Best.

ADDED:

The shoot-n-see targets are good idea but can get expensive. Here is a video with instructions to make your own less expensively:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC89yFBYa4M

Best.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I get back into rifle shooting it will be with a target camera.
    Trying to pick small caliber bullet holes out of the black on a target with even a nice scope is a losing game.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I think the place and weather condition will let a high end scope meet your" wants one day but not the next"if you live any where near the East coastvery few days in the summerwill work but cold crisp winter day yes
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 45X that will not pick out holes that small at 200 yards, for all the reasons Nononsense listed.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The very best glass starts with names like Swarovski, Zeiss, and Leica. You can do some research at Eurooptic...

www.eurooptic.com

They carry them all, and are venders on the auction side to boot.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,653 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might consider using Birchwood-Casey Shoot-n-C targets. They give you a very visible indication of where the bullet hits. There's a few on the auction side.
    http://www.GunBroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=shoot+n+c
    36e096ba3d5ed765d40dcf573b2d57fc_zpssh1agagt.jpg
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Find an old Surveying theodolite.
    Look for Wild, Leitz, Leica, Nikon, or Pentax.
    These have Excellent optical glass, can be focused for ANY eye, and are heavy enough to hold a steady picture.
    The trouble will be adjusting the tripod low enough to see through while lying prone.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NeoBlackdog
    You might consider using Birchwood-Casey Shoot-n-C targets. They give you a very visible indication of where the bullet hits. There's a few on the auction side.
    http://www.GunBroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=shoot+n+c
    36e096ba3d5ed765d40dcf573b2d57fc_zpssh1agagt.jpg

+1, These BC targets are kind of on the pricy side. Maybe if you could get them in bulk from a distributor, or off the net. They would be less expensive.

IMHO, though. Likely only way to see 17 cal. holes at 200 yds. Even with a high dollar spotting scope.

I've seen folks on U tube. Using a video camera pointed at a target, from a protected position. But it would be very expensive, for a video camera with wireless setup. Between the target and your shooting bench.

EDIT #1,

Thanks, ICERACERX. I thought those wireless video remotes, for long range targets. Would cost thousands of dollars. The one you show, is actually priced less, than a high quality spotting scope.
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why not go digital/video at a fraction of the cost?

https://www.bullseyecamera.com/
  • Options
    john carrjohn carr Member Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For what it's worth: When our older son lived and worked in San Salvador his apartment was high on the volcano and he built a primitive "observation deck"on the roof. He asked that when I came down on vacation I bring a telescope, as he had an excellent view of most of the city. I ran the gamut on researching telescopes and finally settled on one, can't remember the name, but a respected brand, for about $150. It was a zoom 20-60 ocular lens and 60mm objective. The Hilton Hotel was a favorite target about a half mile away, and the most magnification we could use was 30X, anything over that and as Elmer Keith used to phrase it, "the image startin' growin' whiskers."

A compact astronomical telescope with an erecting lens and 4" mirror might work at 40X.