In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Luger P08 - Delay in Firing Pin?

ODcollectorODcollector Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited February 2017 in Ask the Experts
Experts,

My Luger P08 (owned and little fired since 1965) has a "delay" in the action??. On cleaning, I find there is a "lag" or "delay" between the time I pull the trigger and when I hear the "click" of the firing pin drop.

Is this normal??...or is some special cleaning needed?

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello the PO8 is a striker fired pistol in other words the firing pin is spring loaded it does not have a hammer I think it has been sitting TOO LONG and lube "oil or grease" has gotten stiff you need to pull it down and clean of all old oils etc most likely someone sprayed all parts inside with WD40 the worst stuff you could ever use for long term storage
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Doesn't sound right. Yes, the trigger pull is spongy at best, since pulling the trigger pivots the trigger bar, but there shouldn't be a delay after the trigger has been pulled all the way back.

If you haven't removed the trigger bar & cleaned under it, try that. Also, remove the firing pin from the toggle assembly, & clean everything.

If you need a photocopy of disassembly instructions, email me.

Neal
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had the same thing happen to me on two different firearms. Both times dirt, dried grease was the problem--
  • Options
    ODcollectorODcollector Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you for the good comments.

I had previously cleaned the pistol yearly, but had not known how to clean the firing pin assembly. I'll try that now. The assembly (and use of screwdriver to depress the spring guide) is nicely described this month in American Rifleman Mar 2017 on Page 74-75. Good info!

Thanks again to Perry Shooter, nmyers, and Grasshopper!