In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Japanese type 38 rifle

wolfen1949wolfen1949 Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
edited February 2017 in Ask the Experts
I need ideals or tips on making a bent bolt handle for the type 38.
Do not worry not a Gun was already missed with before I got it.

Comments

• Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Original bolts go for $75-$125.
    Bolts already ruined go for about $40.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At one time when there still were a lot of WW II milsurps floating around. Foraging bolt handles, was quite a cottage industry.

Pretty much dried up now. As most are worth way more, in original condition to collectors.

Check with customer service at Brownells. They might know a gunsmith, who still does it. As they sold replacement bolt handles, and forging dies. ( Some of the old timers didn't bother with forging. They just cut off the original bolt handle, and welded on a new one from Brownells. The guys who went this route, had to be really knowledgeable regarding welding. As they had to be careful, not to get the bolt locking lugs to hot.)
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are altering the bolt handle to mount a scope you need to have it done professionally. Trust me, this is not a home job for an amateur. To look decent and operate correctly, the handle must be forged in forming blocks, or, cut off and welded back on or a new one welded on. If you know a welder I would suggest you read a good gunsmithing book before you try it yourself. A poorly done job will always look bad and you will be unhappy every time you look at it and have to pay to get it fixed right. The original handle looks pretty good when forged properly. Bolt handle "altered for scope" is the more proper term, not "bent."
  • Options
    1BigGuy1BigGuy Member Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Or you could buy an already "bent" bolt body from a parts gun:

http://www.GunBroker.com/item/622077262