In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Impressed with Ruger Service Center

heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
edited February 2017 in Ask the Experts
Hi,

I have a New Model Ruger Super Blackhawk that I bought used in 1989. The pistol was manufactured in 1974 - 2nd year production for the New Model. Therefore, it is approximately 43 years old.

It was used heavily for hunting, silhouette shooting, and of course lots of practice and sometimes protection. I always took good care of it and it always did what it needed to do.

In January 2017 I checked the barrel-cylinder gap and discovered it was about 0.012 to 0.013 inches. I am not obsessive about barrel-cylinder gap measurements, but this was excessive. I talked to Ruger about it and they said send the pistol in and let them evaluate it.

The pistol was sent to Ruger on February 6th and was returned yesterday February 24th - a total of 18 days including shipping both ways! I was expecting at least a month or two at Ruger service.

Ruger evaluated the pistol and tore it down and replaced all worn parts (as well as non-factory parts) adjusted the barrel, fit a new ejector housing and installed new trigger return spring and mainspring. They performed a safety function test and range testing. The barrel-cylinder gap now measures 0.004 inches. It looks and feels like a new gun.

Even more surprising - I asked how much the bill was for the Ruger service and was told $0.00. The only money I put out was for initial shipping to Ruger.

I know other people have expressed bad experiences with Ruger service but I am well pleased with my experience. Just thought I would pass this along for others who own Ruger products or are potential Ruger buyers.

Thanks for listening.

Heavyiron

Comments

• Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by heavyiron

Even more surprising - I asked how much the bill was for the Ruger service and was told $0.00. The only money I put out was for initial shipping to Ruger.

This post (probably repeated in other venues?) is exactly the "payment" they were looking for.

Glad you had a good experience.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree 100%. Fixed more than one firearm for me at no charge. Good PR.
  • Options
    oldWinchesterfanoldWinchesterfan Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Similar experience here. I bought a used 77/22 Magnum that I soon learned was very messed up and much older than I thought. I called, told them the whole story and they said send it in. I paid only for shipping to them and they fixed all the problems and shipped back, no charge. Very impressive.
  • Options
    AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello - I am glad you had a positive experience - mine wasn't. I had a BearCat and a Single Six convertible. There was recall out to install a safety block on the hammer. Like an idiot I sent them in. They came back with tool marks all over them and both cylinders in the Single Six now shaved lead. I sent them back and they replaced the cylinders - which instantly lost all collector value and made them only shooters at best. I used them to prevent a 3-day waiting period before I had a concealed weapons license. I found a Single Six that had not been messed with and used one of the messed with pistols to be able to leave with it right then. I fired a cylinder each - completely cleaned everything and put it in my safe where it remains. I also used my Vaquero in 45 Colt to become a S&W Model 52 that I could walk out the door with. I have no use for nor will I ever buy another Ruger of any kind.

But to their credit when they could not get the X-GI to work they didn't foster it off on the buying public - like a lever gun from another company was - it was designed for long cartridges such as the 35 Remington and they tried to make it work as a 44 magnum - I had one - sent it back several times - they charged me to "fix" it - "riggghgghhhht". I got rid of it to a gunsmith who used it for a parts gun.

Best Regardds - AQH
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,956 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My experience was with a new Blackhawk flattop which I sent to Ruger to convert to a Bisley grip frame. They did the work perfectly. It was not free of course, but cost less than I expected. No complaint here, I thought they were top notch.
  • Options
    oldWinchesterfanoldWinchesterfan Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just curious AQH, how long ago was that?
  • Options
    AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not to hijack the thread - but it was right after the recall several decades ago when I lived inside the city limits of Lake City, Florida. Best Regards - AQH
  • Options
    BUCKAWHOBUCKAWHO Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Count me for the positive side. They replaced a defective rear sight TWICE for a .22 pistol that I bought new. Promptly and no charge. BT
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a 'new-to-me' MkIII bull barreled target pistol last year in what looked like perfect shape and for a great price...and when I shot it I couldn't group on my targets worth beans. After I really started looking at it I then noticed the grip frame was loose, which is probably why the former owner consigned it at the price it was at to begin with.

I called Ruger, they e-mailed me a shipping label and I sent it in. They did a rock-solid repair AND replaced all the springs for no charge.

There's a reason I have a safe filled with more Ruger firearms than any other brand...