In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Marlin 336

62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
edited February 2017 in Ask the Experts
Can anyone tell me when Marlin moved the serial number from the lower tang to the receiver?
Thanks,
Brian

Comments

• 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Marlin 336 in ,30-30 caliber. The rifle was made in 1963. Was this era rifle ever made in .32 Special? I have been doing searches but can not find any info about a .32 Special with this rifle. The .30-30 and .32 Special have basically the same cartridge brass except for the caliber of bullet. It seems logical that it could have been marketed in .32.
    edited November -1
    I have a Marlin model 336 (stamped on barrel) not sure if it's a "W" model as I've seen other's online auctions that have the gold trigger and carbine barrel band such as mine but they claim their's to be 336A. Mine is a smooth non-checkered stock with a gold 100 year (1970) medalion on the right side of the stock. I'm having a hard time placing a value on this rifle as a friend of mine would like to purchase it. I don't know if this medalion model is something that makes it more valuable or collectable. Can anyone help with a value of this? As far as I know this has never been fired and still in box although it is not a Marlin marked box.
    edited November -1
    I have a Marlin 336 chambered in 35 remington. I like the rifle but I am not a big fan of the stock open sites. Can anyone tell me where I may be able to get a good set of iron open sites to replace the stock sites? Thanks in advance.
    edited November -1
    I am watching some auctions for 336 Marlin in 30-30 cal. The dates of manufacture vary from 60's to late 80's. Is there a difference in quality, as long as the guns are in good condition? I am aware the newer ones appear cheaper made, and at some point there is an additional safety added.
    edited November -1
    I inherited a Marlin 336 30-30. It had been stored for a number of years so I stripped it down and thoroughly cleaned it. When I reassembled it the action functions smoothly, but the lever pops away from the pistol grip by about 1/2" when there is no pressure on it. My two Marlin 94s only more away far enough to clear the safety stud. Have I done something wrong or is this within normal specs?
    edited November -1
    Does anyone know where I can get a synthetic stock for a marlin 336? I had it in the back of my jeep and the spare tire fell on it and scarred the wood I want to refinish it but put a synthetic on it for now. Also I found out how to get the stock off but is it just the one screw on the front wood part around the ring or is it more involved to get that peice off. thanks for any help
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1921? on the model 1893. 68 GCA act required it on the receiver of the 336., which was the upper tang. Prior to that it was on the lower tang. 1969 is the year I think it moved again.

Weird, tried posting this three times, first time just 1921 showed. Puter hiccup I guess.