In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

browning hi power mag safety

varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2017 in Ask the Experts
what are the real pros or cons of removing the magazine disconnect in a browning hi power. 1975 manuf

Comments

• 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pro- improves trigger pull somewhat

Con- removing the magazine does not render the gun incapable of firing. Although I have somehow managed to avoid shooting myself with my other handguns that do not have that.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll take a single shot over a no shot any day. Done correctly you can change it back with no damage to the pistol.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I used to never give it a thought but with my age now I would worry that If I passed someone might shoot an AD with this safety removed I have a plastic tag attached to my pistol
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by varian
    what are the real pros or cons of removing the magazine disconnect in a browning hi power. 1975 manuf

Well, in General Discussion forum this thread could go on forever. [;)]

I have a few BHPs and yes, the trigger pull is much improved - no spring powered pad rubbing against the magazine body. That's why you tend to see a little rub mark on some of the mag's front.

I've fiddled with a few and you can improve the trigger pull while leaving in the MD by lightening the spring power and polishing the heck out of the pad and mag point of contact. It helps, not as good as removal.

Were I to sell the gun I'd be sure to reinstall the MD safety. I realize folks should know better, but I'd feel moderately bad if the buyer figured "BHP = mag disconnect" and shot off their big toe.