In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Extended Eye Relief Scope

SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
edited March 2017 in Ask the Experts
What is the most magnification available on an extended eye relief scope. Browsing online the most I found was 8X

Comments

• Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SP45
    What is the most magnification available on an extended eye relief scope. Browsing online the most I found was 8X

Depends on what you are looking for...intermediate like a scout rifle scope, or truly extended for handguns. Handgun scopes are made out to 12 power these days...3-12x that is, and they say Burris on them...the very best in handgun scopes.
  • Options
    SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not handgun EER for Rifle. Building a modified F Class/Bench Gun for my mother. She has never been able to bring her eye/head forward for traditional eye relief. She keeps it way back near the rear of the stock. Gun will be used out to 600 max. She competed with M1As across the course and did great with open sights but never cared for scopes because of the way she holds her head.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,033 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Leupold M8 4 power has 18" eye relief. The 8 power's also 18" out. What eye relief does she need?
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    You might want to look at using aluminum bar stock rods, mounted in scope rings to move the scope closer to her. Silhouette shooters have taken this to extremes on occasion, mounting "adaptions" for chair-bound shooters with limited mobility.
    There's also the Cantilever style, which could be turned around, but could block single loading or bolt throw.
    Most practical adaptation you could make on her F-Class rig would be to build the stock on a cant, so she could get a good cheek weld while looking through the scope. I think shotgunners call it cast-off(?).