In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lyman tang sight question

yblockheadyblockhead Member Posts: 943 ✭✭✭
edited March 2017 in Ask the Experts
I was given a Lyman tang sight to fit my savage model 99. the reason my friend gave it to me is because it is very loose in the vertical adjustment. I put a small spring underneath the post to keep some tension on it, but is there any other way to fix these?

Comments

• Options
    1873man1873man Member Posts: 130 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    So the knurled barrel turns too freely or is there vertical play in it staff?

Bob
    NRA Life Member
    Cody Firearms Member
    Winchester Arms Collectors Association Life member
    73_86cutaway.jpg
  • Options
    yblockheadyblockhead Member Posts: 943 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes on the knurled knob. The vertical play is about the same as on a couple of other sights that I have. I really do not see any way to peen it or tightening it up without distorting it. I cannibalized a bic lighter spring and dropped it in the hole which seems to help, but I have not had the opportunity to try out and see if it shifts during recoil yet.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Post a picture of it so I can tell what style you have. The knurled barrel is thread on the inside which engages the threaded segment of the staff. My guess is the barrel has excess play up and down correct? so you removed the staff and put the spring in there to hold the barrel and staff at its top position as a temporary fix.

Bob
    NRA Life Member
    Cody Firearms Member
    73_86cutaway.jpg
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Following this with interest, same problem on a Rem #4 .22 rolling block Lyman. Excessive play between barrel and site post, even tried a small spring like Yblock did, helped a little until the spring would bind up in the threads.

Bob, The site post has all the up and down slop, the barrel has no more than any others I have.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Trap55,

If you hold the barrel from moving is the play in the threads or is the barrel moving up and down?

Bob
    NRA Life Member
    Cody Firearms Member
    73_86cutaway.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Trap55,
    I just saw you edited you last post and not replied.

One thing to check is to raise the staff up to expose some of the threaded segment and then pull up and down and see if the movement is between the threaded segment and the staff or the threaded segment and the barrel. The thread segment is made like a woodruff key and is pushed into a cut in the staff which could become loose with enough use. If that is the case you could glue or locktite it in place. If its between the threaded segment and the barrel, its ware and the only fix is replacing parts.

Bob
    NRA Life Member
    Cody Firearms Member
    73_86cutaway.jpg