In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Mauser 98 1918/1920 stock question

asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2017 in Ask the Experts
I have one with all matching numbers. Except the stock has been really ruined by cutting it down and modified. Would like to see if I could find an original?? stock that would fit it properly. In addition to the wood itself, what should I be looking for? Rings, screws, etc ?? Thanks

Comments

• p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    You should have a 29" walnut stock with a bolt takedown washer (Ownership round steel blanks were eliminated in 1915) in the butt. An upper and lower band each with their own retaining piece and a short upper handguard.

Simpson was the only maker in 1920 and they transitioned to the 98b and it has a different stock entirely. If you only have a 1918 rifle with a 1920 RC property overstamp, the old stock is the correct one. It's hard to know what you have if you don't post a photo and don't know either.

I never got an email from you about the Colt grips you advertised for so I figured you didn't really need them.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's what a Reichswehr 98 Mauser, looks like.

EDIT #1,

IMHO, the chances of obtaining a original stock and hardware, for a Reichswehr 98. At this late date, are nil.

Only way I see you getting the required parts and hardware. Are by cannibalizing a junker. Even than it would be likely to be pricy. Selling the parts you have on the auction, might work out better for you?

8097ll.jpg
  • b0400879b0400879 Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As noted by the 1920 date stamp, you have a sporterized post-WW1 "Permission" Gewehr 98(M) rifle. The (M) denotes post-war modified.
    These are all reworks (several times over) & most are encountered in very well-used condition. Original Gew 98 stocks are still out there, but be advised: start saving-up for it now.
    Restoration will require another stock, handguard, forend, bayo lug, both barrel bands & bandsprings.
    G' luck!

Edit: rufe-snow's pics above show a Gew98(M), which sports the correct-reworked/later K98k-style rear sight (yours may have either type). Take note of these 2 pics overall, as they accurately show 1 pattern of a proper period rework-configured 98(M).
  • asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Mauser 98 has 1920 stamped forward of the "crown" stamp and the 1918 below the crown on top of the rear part of the chamber. Ser# is 7220. 17 1/2" barrel. Bolt handle is curved and "Max 98" is stamped on the left side just below the bolt opening.

p3skyking-Appreciate it. I purchased a set of the grips..

I also have a "Danzig 98". The top of the chamber is stamped with the drown and below that is DANZIG and below that is 1916. Ser#6132. Rear sire is loose and is the "sloped' STYLE. I BELIEVE AND MATCHING SERIAL NUMBERS. The cleaning rod is 93 however. And someone cut down the barrel. Very nice shinny crown but never the less cut down back to the metal band and no front site!

I have extra parts for this if anybody might be interested. Rear site, 2-top hand guards, 1-botton hand guard with front ring, 3-front rings and 2 front sites without the dove tail inserts and a few swivels.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by asop
    The Mauser 98 has 1920 stamped forward of the "crown" stamp and the 1918 below the crown on top of the rear part of the chamber. Ser# is 7220. 17 1/2" barrel. Bolt handle is curved and "Max 98" is stamped on the left side just below the bolt opening.

p3skyking-Appreciate it. I purchased a set of the grips..

I also have a "Danzig 98". The top of the chamber is stamped with the drown and below that is DANZIG and below that is 1916. Ser#6132. Rear sire is loose and is the "sloped' STYLE. I BELIEVE AND MATCHING SERIAL NUMBERS. The cleaning rod is 93 however. And someone cut down the barrel. Very nice shinny crown but never the less cut down back to the metal band and no front site!

I have extra parts for this if anybody might be interested. Rear site, 2-top hand guards, 1-botton hand guard with front ring, 3-front rings and 2 front sites without the dove tail inserts and a few swivels.

The above in red aren't correct, for a post WW I, Reichswehr, G 98 Mauser. Original barrel has been cut back by a foot. Bolt might be from a 98 AZ model? Putting big bucks into buying original stock and hardware would be a waste of money IMHO.
  • b0400879b0400879 Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That would be the "Mod 98" siderail marking, rollstamped in Gothic script.
    quote:Originally posted by asop
    "Max 98" is stamped on the left side just below the bolt opening