In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

J-Frame finger pinch

fastcarsgofastfastcarsgofast Member Posts: 7,179
edited March 2017 in Ask the Experts
My new J-Frame pinches the pad of my trigger finger when I shoot it.
I'm looking for a fix that doesn't include changing how much finger I put on the trigger.
Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would suggest a larger grip to re position the finger, a trigger shoe to make the trigger larger, or replace the trigger with a larger one, which would need to be done by a competent person, to make sure the little revolver was in time.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tyler #217 Trigger shoe.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,087 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When you say your pad you talking upper or lower? If it's the upper I think the trigger is biting you.

Never had that happened to me with my S&W 649. She came with a Uncle Henry grip worked fine but swapped it out with a Ergo Grip Delta. That grip looks funky but damn if it don't work good. Just a few weeks ago I had to order springs from Wolff. So I got the half pound lighter main spring and "WOW" [:0][:0][:0]. The trigger pull is so good in double action I don't even bother with single action. The single action is so light I don't know if the round will go off.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A trigger shoe should only be used on a target gun; it may get you killed if you install it on a defensive gun.

Do you have the narrow ribbed trigger, or the wide smooth one? Changing the trigger style may help.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The trigger is wide and smooth, and it definitely biting my finger.

I just ordered a set of Pachmayr compac grips. Hopefully they will help because I really don't want to dremel off my finger.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had this same problem.

Fatter grip is the answer here.

You want a grip with more "meat" over the backstrap of the pistol grip so that it increases the distance of the trigger from your thumb (length of pull).

This should make the problem go away.

I put a set of the Siles rubber grips on mine, and they helped a lot. I'm sure there are many others that "could" work. Its basically just a question of compromise between getting the "right" grip for your hand/anatomy and concealability.
  • Options
    john carrjohn carr Member Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had this same problem with a KelTec P-11. Installed trigger shoe. Problem vanished.
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your gun so of course do what you want. Be aware most trigger shoes are wider than the trigger guard so unintentional discharge is possible when holstering the gun. I would also advise against installing lighter hammer springs as I have seen them cause failure to fire. Completely unacceptable in a defensive weapon. I might go lighter on a trigger return spring but I would never lighten the main spring on one of my carry revolvers. Again your gun your choice. Good luck, Ricci.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fastcarsgofast
    The trigger is wide and smooth, and it definitely biting my finger.

I just ordered a set of Pachmayr compac grips. Hopefully they will help because I really don't want to dremel off my finger.

If it comes to this a power saw will at least be quicker.[:)][}:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just tried the Pachmayr grips with no noticeable difference. Guess I'll try removing some of the rear of the trigger to give my finger enough clearance not to get pinched. Gotta find a good gunsmith since mine retired.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.