In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

PTFE/MOLY OVEN CURE, GUN FINISH ?

serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2017 in Ask the Experts
Has anyone has has experience with this product?

serf

Brownells PTFE/Moly Gun Finish is an ultra-modern, thermo-set, spray-on, self-lubricating coating, chemically bonded to a phenolic-epoxy base so it's highly resistant to scratches and abrasion. Because the finish is baked on, you get some extra benefits.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Years ago there were similar, Teflon based finishes available for firearms. Although as I remember, they had to be professionally applied.

It was available in different colors. But it didn't last to long, as a substitute for bluing, or Parkerizing. Believe because it wasn't durable. And looked like poop, when it got scratched up.

The gunsmith products that Brownells sell, have a good rep. Hopefully this PTFE/Moly stuff, is better than the old Teflon finishes.
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used it several times with good results. It's not as durable as the ceramic bearing products, but does stand up well to normal wear and tear.

As rufe stated any scratches, scrapes or gouges that penetrate the finish will look unsightly but they are easy to repair. This could be said for any "painted on" finish whether baked on or not.

Some keys to getting a good finish.
    . Degrease the part thoroughly. And by that I don't mean lacquer thinner or brake cleaner. You need an actual degreaser like TCE or an autobody wax and grease remover which won't leave any trace of residue.
    2. Wear nitrile/latex/rubber gloves at all times during cleaning/degreasing. Any trace oils/contaminants from your hands will degrade the bond to steel.
    3. Watch your curing temp. I had a stainless steel gray take on a slight green tinge when my temps got 15 degrees to high.

For a "cure box".
    I built mine out of 2"x2"s and cement board (cement board goes on the inside of the frame) and installed two electric charcoal starters.
    https://www.amazon.com/Char-Broil-SureFire-Electric-Charcoal-Starter/dp/B0001B50BM
    One at each end of the box and covered them with two thin sheetmetal shields to prevent radiant heat from over cooking the areas directly above them. On the outside of the box are two outlet boxes. One for the outlet to plug the heat elements into, the other for a dimmer switch to control temp with. The box cover has a hole just big enough to drop a candy thermometer into.