In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt SAA in 44 Special

dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
edited March 2017 in Ask the Experts
Attended the Reno Gun show last week and at a "just buying brass" side visit to Cabelas bought a Colt SAA in 44 Special with 7 1/2" barrel. It's a 3rd Generation, made in 1980, but has the bluing finish of the 2nd Generation. I don't care for the black plastic grips and am going to switch out to wood.

I know fitting SAA grips can be a challenge. Is there a brand that comes closest to easiest fit?

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    On colt single action pistols I have found that generally the First Gen guns have the smallest grip frame The second Gen are slightly larger and the third gen are the largest as with any grips try to get a pair that are to large and then take your time bringing them down to be flush wood to grip frame
  • Options
    john carrjohn carr Member Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an identical Colt but in second generation, I was interested that the 2nd and 3rd had different processes of bluing. Can you describe the difference?

I don't care for the black plastic grips either. Not long after buying it my wife gave me a pair of elephant ivory grips for Christmas. They make the gun look beautiful butI like the stability of a pair of faux stag grips that I bought on Ebay for ten dollars when I shoot it.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tastes differ. When I got a Cimarron/ASM to pair with my Colt for CAS, I replaced its one piece wood grip with Colt hard rubber.