In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Russian M44 Value

emsfireemsfire Member Posts: 203 ✭✭✭
edited March 2017 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone know the value of a Russian M44, Ischvek manufactured (I think that's how you spell it). It has no bayonet but numbers are all matching and the bayonet mount still has the screw. I would like to sell mine but would a Turkish Mauser be a fair trade?

Comments

• Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Izhevsk The best way to determine the selling price of a firearm- go on to GunBroker, COMPLETED auction, and compare yours to the ones that have sold here. And as to fair trade, depends on the condition of each of the rifles.
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMHO, you would come out ahead if you trade for the Mauser. Missing the bayonet, the M 44 has little collector value.

Many thousands were imported over the years, by the container load, from Eastern Europe. Many were in almost new condition, as they had been arsenal refurbished.

Although with the bayonet removed, they make a excellent truck gun, with the short 19" barrel. They are very unpleasant to shoot. Recoil and muzzle blast wise.

You would be way better off with the Turk Mauser, as a shooter. Or future value wise. I believe in equal condition. A Mauser will always be more valuable, than a comparable Mosin Nagant.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are variations. It's difficult to identify - or sell - just about any gun without photos.

Neal
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Once upon a time m44s were cheap as dirt and you could literally get brand new unissued ones for $50. Unfortunately, that's not true anymore.

M44 supply has dried up sooner than the usual M91/30s. . .from what I understand there are no more being imported.

If you look at the usual surplus retailers, regular m91/30s now go for about $225. Nobody has M44s now. . .that's been true since 2013 or 14. Once in a while, a crate or two will come up for sale, but not often, and when it happens they go fast and for surprisingly high prices.

Checking the auction site, going rate for these appears to be about $300 now, but there is a pretty wide range, depending on exact model and condition. Some can be had for as little as $200. . .some go for >$500. Typically the new/unissued ones with matching serials get the highest prices. Regular M91/30s are going for about $200.

Turkish Mausers seem to be going for around $200 now, though again, there is a bit of a range depending on condition, exact model, etc.

Again, hard to do a precise comparison without seeing the guns in question, but based on my quick "market survey" (looking at completed auctions on the website here) believe it or not a good M44 is probably worth more now than an average Turk Mauser. Not a huge amount more. . .but enough that a trade isn't necessarily a "no brainer". Beat m44 for beat Turkish Mauser. . that's close enough to "fair" that if you'd rather have the Mauser, go for it.

Another factor to consider if you want to actually shoot this is that cheap 8mm surplus ammo has dried up years ago. 7.62x54R surplus has gone up in price tremendously over the last ten years. . .but the steel "spam" cans are still available and its cheaper than 8mm. Factory 7.62x54R costs less than 8mm too.

Lastly M44 isn't a light gun, and it offers pretty significant recoil and muzzle blast, but its a nice short one. . .that potentially has advantages in actual use. Here's mine, tricked out as a "scout".

Edit:
    On "collectors value" neither most m44s nor Turkish mausers have much. They "can" if its the right model in the right condition, etc, but even in 2017, they're all mostly "shooters" still. Most (though not all) M44s have been "re-arsenalled" (ie factory refurbished) and these are the least desirable from a collectors standpoint.

Non-russian M44s (ie Hungarian, Polish) may have extra collectors value, as those are scarcer.

Lastly, getting an extra m44 bayonet isn't a big deal. There is one listed right now on the auction site for $35; I bet you could find a cheaper one if you looked around.

DSCN0626.jpg
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just sold mine on consignment for $200. Probably should have asked for more since it sold before I left the store. Can't complain since I paid $59 for it.
  • Options
    emsfireemsfire Member Posts: 203 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by beantownshootah
    Once upon a time m44s were cheap as dirt and you could literally get brand new unissued ones for $50. Unfortunately, that's not true anymore.

M44 supply has dried up sooner than the usual M91/30s. . .from what I understand there are no more being imported.

If you look at the usual surplus retailers, regular m91/30s now go for about $225. Nobody has M44s now. . .that's been true since 2013 or 14. Once in a while, a crate or two will come up for sale, but not often, and when it happens they go fast and for surprisingly high prices.

Checking the auction site, going rate for these appears to be about $300 now, but there is a pretty wide range, depending on exact model and condition. Some can be had for as little as $200. . .some go for >$500. Typically the new/unissued ones with matching serials get the highest prices. Regular M91/30s are going for about $200.

Turkish Mausers seem to be going for around $200 now, though again, there is a bit of a range depending on condition, exact model, etc.

Again, hard to do a precise comparison without seeing the guns in question, but based on my quick "market survey" (looking at completed auctions on the website here) believe it or not a good M44 is probably worth more now than an average Turk Mauser. Not a huge amount more. . .but enough that a trade isn't necessarily a "no brainer". Beat m44 for beat Turkish Mauser. . that's close enough to "fair" that if you'd rather have the Mauser, go for it.

Another factor to consider if you want to actually shoot this is that cheap 8mm surplus ammo has dried up years ago. 7.62x54R surplus has gone up in price tremendously over the last ten years. . .but the steel "spam" cans are still available and its cheaper than 8mm. Factory 7.62x54R costs less than 8mm too.

Lastly M44 isn't a light gun, and it offers pretty significant recoil and muzzle blast, but its a nice short one. . .that potentially has advantages in actual use. Here's mine, tricked out as a "scout".

Edit:
    On "collectors value" neither most m44s nor Turkish mausers have much. They "can" if its the right model in the right condition, etc, but even in 2017, they're all mostly "shooters" still. Most (though not all) M44s have been "re-arsenalled" (ie factory refurbished) and these are the least desirable from a collectors standpoint.

Non-russian M44s (ie Hungarian, Polish) may have extra collectors value, as those are scarcer.

Lastly, getting an extra m44 bayonet isn't a big deal. There is one listed right now on the auction site for $35; I bet you could find a cheaper one if you looked around.

DSCN0626.jpg

The one I have looks exactly like yours, condition wise, well mine has a little darker wood. All numbers are matching. I actually have another but its in crappy condition. Rifling is still intact but its pitted bad, numbers dont match, and its just overall in bad shape. I have been doing some work to it, redoing the stock and getting parts. I have 4 cans of unopened surplus ammo that I would not dare put through the good condition one. I want to finish getting the crappy one in fire-able condition then just use it for wasting ammo lol.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,751 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    imo, no trade,,unless a $75 is in your pocket to boot.