In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

reloading for a TC

dearchaserdearchaser Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
Picked up a Thompson Contender a while back and would like to begin reloading for the 10" 30-30 barrel. Any suggestions on type of reloader would be appreciated. Saw a Lee Anniversary kit with manual for $74 at Natchez. They also advertised a RCBS Rockchucker for a lot more. Is one better than the other in your expert opinions? I have a lot of learnin to do before I actually begin reloading, but would like to start out with decent equipment. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• KdubKdub Member Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Haven't messed around with the Lee presses - have several different die calibers of theirs and find them excellent.You can't go wrong with RCBS or Redding for standard type reloading equipment - their stuff will last you a lifetime and still be there for your kids. I use a mix of Hornady, RCBS, Redding and Lee reloading stuff, with a few Lyman items mixed in. Been doing it for over 40 years now, that's why everything is so mismatched!
  • Mr. TimMr. Tim Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had the Lee press that you are refering to and I sent it back to Lee 4 different times because it kept on breaking!!!! Go with the RCBS Rock Chucker it is a much better press. As far as dies go I have tried Lee, RCBS, Hornady, and Redding and again the best for the money is RCBS. If you have any problems with your equipment at all weather it's your falt or not RCBS will treat you with respect and solve the problem by sending the parts out to you as soon as you hang up. You see RCBS knows that you and I pay their salery and they will do whatever it takes to make there customer happy. Good Luck, Mr. Tim
  • lock stock and barrellock stock and barrel Member Posts: 88 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    RCBS hands down!!!!!
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have used the same Lee press for 15 years with no problems.
  • leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you thought about saving up a few hundred dollars and getting a Dillon RL550? You can pick them up cheap used and worn out, send them back to dillon and they'll renovate it and send it back to ya free. Not only that but it's alot less timely to crank out rounds than a single stage press.
  • dearchaserdearchaser Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all for their advice. Time to go shopping!