In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Advice - cleaning old rusty relics

jclappjclapp Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
My buddy just got ahold of some old rusty relics that vary from a pair of dueling pistols to an old percussion sixgun. Lots of rust. Whats the best method for cleanign these up. I think his intention is to put them into a shadow box for decorative purposes.Thanx,The OTHER Postal.

Comments

• hackerhacker Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    be aware that any cleaning will harm or destroy collector value if the guns have any. you might want to have them evaluated before messing with them.
  • fergusonmorse392fergusonmorse392 Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    evaluate, for sure!!! take some pictures, or look for an appraiser:
  • leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A soft bristle tooth brush and some gun oil.
  • rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What the others have said is true enough. The objective should be to remove loose rust but not get down to bare metal. I would remove non-metal parts and clean with fine steel wool and kerosene, mineral spirits or paint thinner. Another possibility would be to use a fine wire brush. Allow to dry, free of above fluids and free of oil. Remove non-metal parts and heat to above 200 degrees F to drive out moisture. While hot, coat with floor wax to seal surface. When cool coat with more wax. After it dries rub with a rag. Carefully done this will non affect value and will improve appearance for display. Email for more old gun restoration info to rhmc24@swbell.net. Hope this helps.