In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Savage model 1914 rifle

PARAshooterPARAshooter Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
My grandfather just gave me a savage 1914 rifle today. Kind of a if you can fix it you can have it deal. Well I plan on fixing it and giving it to my son in a few years. Any way does anyone have one, seen one or shot one? It needs a new stock and some other internal pieces. It does however fire if you load it singly I was told. I am assuming the internal pieces are to do with the loading mechanism. Any info would be appresiated. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Finding parts for your old slide action .22 is going to be difficult as it was discontinued in 1926! None of the parts houses list parts; but who knows, if you keep calling around you might get lucky. Or, advertise for parts in the "Wanted" sections of The Shotgun News or Gun List. Restoring this gun may be impractical. Good luck in your search.
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look for a good gunsmith, some of them are skilled and perfectly capable of remanufacuturing cheaply on their own mills the small, probably minor, parts needed to make the gun functional.Or you may look into doing it yourself. You can start a hobby of gunsmithing. Its really fun. Restoring old guns is a blast.You can refinish it or even improve or customize on it. You could make a new custom stock for it, or refinish the old one.You could reblue, parkerize, plate, or even have engraved the external metal parts.There is so much to do, the only problem is how much you want to spend. Money and time wise. It being a family herloom (forgive my spelling) you may want to gold plate and engrave it or something.Good luck and have fun.
  • Options
    PARAshooterPARAshooter Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the replies. I figured it would be difficult to find parts but I guess thats part of the fun of the hobby. If you ever run acroos a 1914 or any parts please let me know. Thanks JBSafe shooting