In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 1906

drawndrawn Member Posts: 544
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
First, I am new to this site and think itsgreat! Second, I am impressed by the knowledgeof most of the members.My question: my son owns a win. mod.1906 ser#171xx in .22 short only, that is in good condition,with the exception of the bore that is in poor shape. Can you tell me when it was made and approx. value? will having the barrel relined detract from its value? thanks in advance.
LazyH

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I've come into possession of a VG Winchester 1906 Take-Down with the serial number 796XXX. This number appears higher than referenced in any of the texts I have come across. Can anyone tell me the approximate year of manufacture? Thank you.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was wondering the value of one of these in fairly good condition. I believe it is the expert model but im not sure. It has a pistol grip and a different looking forearm but this one also has a peep site which im not sure came factory. Can anyone help me with how much it is worth? thanks Lance
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What has to be done to get the magazine ring installed to the dovetail on the Winchester 1906 barrel. Does it have to be shaped? The new magazine rings appear to be too big for the dovetail. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    3 questions for a friend.1)Rifle is stamped .22short means no LR right even though the mag tube cut out will take longs?2)Inside the lower reciever there is a screw that holds a very small washer type plate that is round on one side and square on the other. What is this for?3)Aprox worth? It has lots of light surface rust no pits seems it was never blued or finished, dinged up stock, scrubbed on barrel for an hour and can start to see the rifling. Action and everything else is good (normal wear).Thanks drawn
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a 1906 expert. There is a serial number on the lower tang but not on the receiver. Also there is no proofmark on the receiver where there would usually be next to the barrel mark.There are no grinding/filing marks. The receiver looks almost 95% original bluing not refinished. There are some small markings on the receiver next to the mag. tube. Any ideas? Was it a replacement receiver? Serial number is 580xxx on the tang.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Winchester model 1906. I tried to search the serial # and can not find anything. The web sight I found says that it is out of their database date range. The serial # is 771XXX. Does anyone have any info on this?
    Thanks,
    Jim
  • Options
    AntiqueDrAntiqueDr Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the gun is not stamped for Longs and Long Rifles, then it is either one of the first 7000 guns manufactured, or it was destined as a gallery gun. The typical 1906 chambered Shorts, Longs and Long Rifles interchangeably.The piece you describe is the slide coverplate and its retaining screw. Removing that plate allows the action slide assembly to be removed. Do not lose the coverplate or its screw, as they are hard to find.In the condition you describe, there is virtually no collector value. Figure $150.
    We buy, sell and trade quality guns and scopes!Ask us about Shepherd Scopes!Visit our website at www.ApaxEnterprises.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Antique DLR thanks for replying and your willingness to share your knowlage.The sr# 111XXX so I doubt it's one of the first 7000 but it is stamped .22short.The washer type plate I'm speaking of is inside and I'm not sure how to explain to you exactly where it is.Thanks drawn
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Upon taking apart the reciever the very little plate is right in front and on top of whatI believe to be the seer.drawn[This message has been edited by drawn (edited 09-05-2001).]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The gun is certainly a "Gallery Gun," made especially for the shooting galleries and chambering .22 Short only.The sear is an integral part of the trigger. There are only two screws inside the receiver on the 1906. One is the trigger spring and its screw, but that's behind the trigger in the area normally covered by the buttstock, and its function should be obvious. The other is the carrier lever spring and its screw, which is found on the right side of the carrier and is removed upward.
    We buy, sell and trade quality guns and scopes!Ask us about Shepherd Scopes!Visit our website at www.ApaxEnterprises.com
  • Options
    wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 1906 was short only until approximately serial # 110,000. Yours will have the 3rd model receiver with the cuts showing on the sides of it. These short only 1906 3rd model were marked with an A on the end of the serial #. I have one with an 87,000 # and another with an 88,000 #. Yours was made in late 1907 or early 1908. A really good reference book on these rifles is "Winchester slide- action rifles volume 1 Model 1890 and 1906 by Ned Schwing" There are many special order features on these rifles such as sights and finish that make them interesting to me. 111,000 could be one of the last 22 short 1906 rifles produced.
    standard.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Wundudnee is right, my post should have read 70000, not 7000.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes in deed it is a wonderful piece of mechanical art were having some fun tearing it apart and cleaning almost 100 years of crud out of it.I'll take some pictures of it and post, is there a site anyone suggests to upload them to for linking?Thanks drawn