In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Uberti percussion cylinder Colt SAAs

opentopopentop Member Posts: 143 ✭✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
I've seen some information and pictures regarding Uberti of Italy made Colt SAA repros that have been made in .44 percussion with front loading, black powder, loose ammunition, percussion cap cylinders instead of a standard breach loading .44-40 or .45Colt cartridge cylinder. I haven't actually seen one up close at a dealer or show, so I might be way off here, but what would prevent someone from buying one (Feds don't require and most states don't either, any background check or waiting period on black powder firearms) and replacing the cylinder with a .45Colt chambered cylinder (the bore of the black powder version I'm told is actually .451 although it's called a .44) and the hammer with a cone pin cartridge SAA hammer and thereby making a regular cartridge firing, SAA repro and thus avoiding federal and state handgun purchasing laws? Does anyone know if this is even possible or is there something else about these black powder versions of the SAA that would prevent such modifications?

Comments

• v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In order for the percussion hammer to reach the nipples, there needs to be a large rectangular notch cut out of the recoil plate at the rear of the frame. Of course that area could be welded up and drilled for the SAA firing pin and then ground to be slightly forward of the rest of recoil plate so fired cases do not bind as they pass the firing position. Legalities aside, this would take both a skilled welder and machinist to do a proper job.I would assume this piece was made using all SAA dimensions except in this area and maybe in the ejector and ejector hole in the frame.Getting the firing pin hole in the right spot could be a bugger.
  • opentopopentop Member Posts: 143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks v35, I was just curious. Personally, I think it would be too much hassle to do and especially in light of the fact that made for cartridge, single action repro revolvers tend to have somewhat less emphasis put on them as regards handgun laws. Even here in California, single action repros are exempt from the new "Drop Test Certification", "Integral Hammer Block" and "Active Trigger Safety Device" laws.
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have had two recent threads dealing with almost this same subject. There are drop-in cylinders that convert percussion revolversto cartridge. I have seen a letter from the BATF that said they had no problem with it.It does seem to be a giant loop-hole & that's what caused me ask & for the manufacturer to show me the letter.
  • hackerhacker Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    that part about california exempting single action guns from the safety testing system makes it plain that this law is not about safety. it is about gun control. if they were really concerned about saftey, why not ban guns that they know will not pass this so called safety test? instead they exempt them.
    hi karate and old spice
    edited November -1
    hacker - I am in complete agreement. California "gun-control" laws make absolutely no sense, but then again, I am of the opinion that there are NO gun control laws that make any sense. One gun will kill as well as an other. A Ruger Mini 30 will throw almost as much lead, almost as fast as an AK firing the same 7.62X39 ammo. A single action Uberti SAA repro will do as much damage as a Ruger Redhawk in .45Colt, maybe not quite as quickly being single action compared to the Ruger's DA, but .45Colt is .45Colt regardless what tube it comes out of. The whole concept of gun control irks me for the simple fact that people who obey the law are the only ones effected. Those who don't obey the law get their hands on whatever guns they want and they are the ones doing all the killing. It's all a crock of *! I'm just glad the single action repros and black powder guns ARE exempt, being as that is my prime area of interest, but for those whose interests lie in modern and military style guns, I think it's a damn shame how many restrictions seem to be continually piling up on them. That's why we have to be members of the NRA and continue the fight to get all gun control laws repealed and get the Second Amendment Preservation law passed in the Congress while we have an administration that is likely to support it. Well, enough "preaching to the choir" for today. Keep the faith!
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I once compared a 5-1/2, 45SAA to a Remington percussion army using 250 gr bullets and there didn't seem to be any difference in accuracy or penetration.The effectiveness of percussion revolvers is a big secret. Bill Hickock kept his 51 Navy 36's after 45 cartridge guns came out so they must have worked well. We should appreciate this freedom and not bring focus on it.
    edited November -1
    v35 - Believe you me, I won't be writing any letters to the ATF, HCI, Sarah Brady or The Million Mom March, asking them why single actions and black powder guns are exempt, but I don't think discussing it in here is going to give away any "secrets". I'm not one who tends to believe that there might be "anti-gun spies" in here just waiting for us to reveal our "secrets" so they have further cause to call for gun control. Were that the case, some of the things said in here like threads I've seen advocating the shooting of cops when "they come to get my guns", would surely have shown up on some HCI literature or something.