In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hoppes #9 and Rem oil for maintenance.

TeamblueTeamblue Member Posts: 782 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
I run a patch soaked with Hoppes #9 through the bores of all my firearms after shooting and then alternate with a clean patch until I can see no more fouling on the patch. I then run a patch lightly sprayed with Rem oil down the bores before placing them in the safe. Also I use Rem oil and wipe down the exterior surfaces before storage. Is this cleaning routine sufficient or should I be using a different solvent, lubricant, and/or strategy? I shoot 2-3 times a month at the range, but not in competition. I do not use Moly coated bullets. I have experienced no problems thus far. Thanks for any input.[This message has been edited by Teamblue (edited 09-04-2001).]

Comments

• Options
    badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Teamblue all my guns get the same treatment. Never a problem.
    So many guns to buy. So little money.
  • Options
    poshposh Member Posts: 360 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've noticed that Rem oil contains teflon and they claim teflon smooths minor imperfections in the bore. Do the experts think the teflon would change shooting characteristics?
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Team,This regimen will keep your firearms in great shape for your grandchildren - provided, of course, that the political climate hasn't become even worse.*DO* however, be careful to avoid getting Hoppe's on an oil finish stock and remove immediately when it happens. Lesson learned the hard way . . . .