In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Custom Parts for 1911

Ross C. McDonellRoss C. McDonell Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
Looking for the advice of all the experts.I am working on upgrading my Kimber custom classic. Before I drop the cash on a lot of goodies I would like to hear what your favorites are for the following and why.1. Ambi-safety.2. Beavertail.3. Main Spring Housing.Thank you,Gunner[This message has been edited by Ross C. McDonell (edited 09-04-2001).]

Comments

• leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What are you planning on doing with it?Home defense, concealed carry, LEO duty weapon, Hunting Sidearm, Practical Shooting Competition, USPSA Open or Limited Competition, Plinking, Steel Silohette 50yd Competition, Making an asthetically pleasing coffee table gun?There are very many things you can do to a 1911. You should give a short list with the most important thing 1st and least important last.
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ross,Is there a purpose for the Ambi-Safety? (left handed?) I have one on my Pro-Carry CDP and will be replacing it with a standard safety when the next gunshow comes around, I dont know why but I just dont like the Ambi-Safety in a 1911, on my Beretta its fine ...
    GUN CONTROL: If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Ross C. McDonellRoss C. McDonell Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    leeblackman - CCW gun, IDPA, as well as my range gun (firearms instructor).Kimberkid - You guessed it I am a lefty. I have decided to go with the Ed brown, if you added this vise the stock Kimber unit I would be very interested in taking it off your hands. Also I have the stock Kimber single sided safety if you are interested in that.Also like to add a question to my original post. Anyone ever install one of the Cylinder and Slide trigger pull kits? If so did you get the advertised results.Thank you agian,Gunner[This message has been edited by Ross C. McDonell (edited 09-05-2001).][This message has been edited by Ross C. McDonell (edited 09-05-2001).]
  • compgunfirecompgunfire Member Posts: 95 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll installed the "C & S" trigger kits in several guns. I have alway gotten within 1 lb. of the weight listed on the package. The trigger is crisp and light. I've had "C & S" build several customs guns for me over the years. They know their stuff and the parts they sell are 1st class.
  • leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For CCW reliability should be the most important thing, also you'll want to stay with lower profile sights that wont snag. You may look into a "deburring" or "meltdown" job. You may also look into tritium night sights. Stay with flush fit magazines without basepads, and no magwell. Make sure to break it in, and I honestly believe in Clint Smith's approach of shooting only FMJ in a carry gun. Its the most reliable feeding bullet there is. I wouldn't bother with ambidextrous safety, just, but I would get an extended safety, and learn to use it left handed, aslo an extended mag release, but I would have the edges filed down to keep from snaging. Bevel the mag well, and polish the feedport and chamber. Also polish the breech face, and have the extractor tuned. Basically get a standard reliabilty job done. Get a good set of grips, and have the front of the slide serated.
  • PhilPhil Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I installed one of the C&S trigger pull kits in my Hi-Power(along with a combat hammer and their widened trigger)-made it like a new gun;knocked at least 4 pounds off the horrendous factory trigger pull,made it crisper,too.
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ross,I would be interested in the single safety that you'll be taking off if you want to sell it, however I always keep any parts I take off incase I want to put it back "original" ... let me know by email if your interested.
    GUN CONTROL: If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention! kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Ross C. McDonellRoss C. McDonell Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you for all the advise. Hope to get the project started soon.