In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

M41

jacksvjacksv Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
Not counting preference, what are rhe pros and cons of a 7" barrel vs a 5.5" barrel of a S&W model 41.Jack

Comments

• RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Happen to have one of each, 5.5" has nicer target sights, has the feel and weight comparable to a 1911. If you use it for a carry gun (Hunting, not for protection) it's hard to find a nice holster, barrel is just a little too thick unless you use a loose fitting Cordura unit. 7 3/8" (mine has a comp) is nice for hunting, Holsters are more readily available. Sights although not as nice as the 5.5", are adequate for target use. You can add the factory barrel weights if reduced muzzle jump is desired for rapid fire competition.The best thing about the 41 is that since barrels are easily interchanged, you can have one frame and both barrels to switch back and forth. [This message has been edited by Rembrandt (edited 09-04-2001).]
  • RDTRDT Member Posts: 52 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had both and I parted with the longer one and kept the short one just because I liked the way it felt better. They both shot about the same in my hands. I sold the 41 to raise $ for a Gold Cup. It's great to shoot too, but a costs a lot more to take to the range. It's hard to beat a good .22.
  • jacksvjacksv Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks everybody for your input. I went with the 5.5 I can hold it steadier doing the one hand NRA matches. A little wobble but that's old age.Jack