In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Deer & .222 rem.

jay bluejay blue Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
Lee asked on a closed thread about deer hunting with a 223.I shot deer for a wildlife disease study using the model 700 Remington 222 with a 4x Redfield post scope. Almost every shot was at night,using a spot light. All shot placement had to be in the neck due to avoidance of cross contamination of parasites from one area to another within animals body.I killed approximately 120 animals. Not one moved over 5 meters distance from impact. Most dropped instantly due to spinal cord damage. Occasionally one would kick when I opened up the thoracic cavity to draw 150 ml of blood directly from the heart. Usually there was little or no response even when I inserted the needle into the heart.Some shots were as close as 5 paces but most were between 25 to 100 paces.Hope this helps answer your question.

Comments

• Options
    jgill13jgill13 Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For anyone considering .222 or .223 caliber for deer I don't think that 'being enough gun' should be their number one concern, because it definitely is enough with good shot placement; however, state law should be their first concern,...quite a few states do not allow any type of .22 cal. to be used on deer.
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Texas law on deer is that: "Game animals may be hunted with any legal firearm, except:-White-tailed deer, mule deer, desert bighorn sheep, and pronghorn antelope may NOT be hunted with rimfire ammunition of any caliber." Thats from the Texas Parks and Wildlife 2001-2002 Outdoor Annual Hunting and Fishing Regulation book.