In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Barrel size/accuracy?

Larry BrownLarry Brown Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
Does barrel diameter or length have any effect on accuracy? Example: Remington 700 BDL vs Remington 700 VS (varmit).

Comments

• Options
    steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Barrel diameter does have an effect on accuracy. All barrels "vibrate" when fired. A thicker barrels vibrations are smaller and throw the bullet off less.
  • Options
    hackerhacker Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    larger barrels also take longer to be affected by heat so they hold tighter groups for extended shooting.
    hi karate and old spice
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Browning and now I believe also Winchester BOSS system takes the vibration of the barrel into consideration and allows you to tune the barrel so that the bullet leaves the barrel at a nodel point and improve accuracy.[This message has been edited by rsnyder55 (edited 09-09-2001).]
  • Options
    lock stock and barrellock stock and barrel Member Posts: 88 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just purchased a 1" ,26" barrel from VVCG and it is a tack driver. 5 shots in a dime@ 100 yards. I was wondering this same question.
  • Options
    Larry BrownLarry Brown Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lock stock and barrel. Could you coment further? Caliber? Who is VVCG? Would you recommend a Romington 700 VS? Remington said they made it one time in 1998 In a .260 in a lot of 1000. Comments please.
  • Options
    PhilPhil Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep, it's called "barrel whip"-the barrel actually flexes like a wet noodle.The longer barrel simply gives the projectile more rifling grooves to travel through,spinning it faster,ergo,flatter trajectory.It also allows all the powder to burn before the projectile leaves the barrel,ergo,more velocity,more accuracy.
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would recommend a .260rem, its a nice cartridge. I'm looking into getting a bolt rifle in the .260rem later on myself. Factory Winchester 140gr bullet travelling 3030fps. Thats nice. Fires the same bullet as the 6.5x55swedish (my most favorite light rifle cartridge), but in a shorter and fatter case with a steaper angle case neckdown. I think old PO Ackley himself would have owned one. All the ballistics data I've seen looks very promising. And I'm starting to see more and more guns being made with the cartridge. I know that you can order a custom DSA FAL with it. I think even Springfield Armory started making custom M1A Scout Rifles in the cartridge. You can order just about any popular target bolt rifle on the market in the caliber now, though it may not be advertised yet. I see the .260rem having a good future, getting more and more popular with target shooters, precision tactical shooters, varmint and medium game shooters, etc.