In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

SKS>>>>FEEDBACK PLEASE!

At_The_GatesAt_The_Gates Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
Guys! A very simple request.I need feedback on SKS's. Pros and cons and other that the importation ban, why they are so solicitated?Like always all feedback,info. and opinions are respectfully and honestly listened and appreciated.Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    ranahanranahan Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Solicitated?? I don't know about that,much maligned maybe,("...bucket of bolts.", comes to mind) but they're a good practical rifle, reliable and in my experience with three of them, very accurate for the type. mine were more accurate than the Mini 14 that I traded them for and just as accurate as most decent bolt guns. Their prices are going up! Get a pre-ban with the triangular bayonet. It makes a terrific monopod for prone shooting. Jamb it right into the ground! I also like to mount a flat steel flang peep sight to stick up from the back of the squared recoil spring housing. Use two 8-32(?)screws gunsmith-tapped into the housing, through slots in the sight piece for elevation adjustment. Much longer sight plane. Much better. You can then remove issue sight for clearer view.ranahan
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had several but due to storage constraints (safe keeps shrinking) I'm down to 1 Russian SKS, which unlike any AK I've ever owned (or looked at for that matter) the SKS is a keeper.I'm expecting a bashing anytime now from the AK clan but I really dont care. The SKS is a better made, more accurate (besides being more expensive to produce) weapon ... I'd pick a Russian SKS anyday over any AK or the clone SAR parts guns. The nice thing about the SKS is that they are so veristle ... lots of stock, mag, sighting/optic options ... The AK can only look like an assult rifle, why pay as much or more for a rifle (AK) that shoots the same round only not as well? To me the SKS rates right up there with the 10/22 for versitility and has much more power/range.Another great thing is that the ammo is cheap and avaiable everywhere.
    GUN CONTROL: If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remeber seeing an add in Shotgun News for G-U Wholesale for Romanian SKS's for $129 in Good-Very Good Condition. I'd buy one.
  • Options
    shaneshane Member Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an SKS and love it!! They are fun to shoot and after the first time they are easy to take down and clean. The SKS is cheaper to shoot than my 22.mag. at $2.99 per. 20rd box Wolf ammo.and is very accurate.I can't say enough good things about my SKS. The only bad thing I can think of about an SKS is that I don't own 2
  • Options
    gunnutgunnut Member Posts: 724 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just plain fun to shoot oh yea my nephew killed his first whitetail with one about 8yrs ago
  • Options
    bhale187bhale187 Member Posts: 7,798
    edited November -1
    Cheap, lots of fun, usually pretty acurate for an inexpensive semi auto rifle,VERY reliable, tons upon tons of spare parts, accessories and "upgrades" available anywhere. Over all a great rifle for the money.
  • Options
    fredt.garvinfredt.garvin Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got mine when they were going for around 80.00$. Have put at least 500 rds through it the last 12 yrs. Not a bad deer gun either.
  • Options
    landislandis Member Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    kimberkid,Does sks stand for Safe Keeps Shrinking? Wondered if you intended that.
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    landis,No, I missed that, Good observation!
    GUN CONTROL: If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yea, they should make a modular expanding safe system. That way when you run out of room, you just get another module and attach it to the back, side, top, bottom or where ever. It would be like Lego's.