In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

M17 Bull Pup

gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
Does any one have any information on how this rife performs? I have read the Bushmaster write up on it. I am really looking for some first hand knowledge. Any one out there with pros and cons let me know please. I am thinking about trading my Ruger GB for one.[This message has been edited by gap1916 (edited 09-07-2001).]

Comments

• Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Without any specific questions, I can tell you Its a great little rifle! I've had 3 of them in the last 7-8 years. The first one I didn't shoot much, found someting else I had to have, sold the M17 so I could get it, I don't even remember what it was now but I regretted it so I bought another. The 2nd one a guy at a gunshow (I was taking it out for a walk) asked what I'd take for it, I told him it wasn't for sale but I'd take $1000, he asked if I'd take $900 ... what could I say? (Of corse I took it!) #3 I still have!Bad Stuff:1. Sights are practically worthless, but almost useable2. Trigger is kinda heavy3. A little heavy, weighs about 10 poundsGood Stuff:1. Uses all AR-15/M-16 mags & drums2. As short as a CAR (with stock retracted) but wah 20" barrel3. Accurate: I have a 40mm red dot on mine and can hit a 12" gong all day at 300yds4. Reliable: never had a FTF that wasn't mag or ammo related5. Easy to handle, low recoil, well balanced
    GUN CONTROL: If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    axlerfanaxlerfan Member Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have one of these, love it. accuaracy is very good, and with decent optics its great. it handles well, very well balanced. trigger is a bit stiff but that can be worked on a little to make it at least civilized. factory sights are useless, but since it has a weaver type rail on the handle, no problem.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the input guys. I am looking at a Pre Ban 16inch barrel for about $1100.00. Is this a good price? I was not aware that thy made a 16 inch M17.
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I may be wrong (It has happened before) but I'm pretty sure Bushmaster didn't make a 16" M17 ... that would make it only 27.5" over all length, which I belive is less than legal. If there is such a thing the barrel would be just barely longer than the stock.I'd call Bushmaster, if someone has wacked off the barrel it could be a problem ...
    GUN CONTROL: If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I called Bushmaster. You are correct. They said that they never made a BullPup with a barrel length under 20.5. Thanks for the thought to call. I also found out the the legal over all length for a Pre Ban rifle is 26 inches.[This message has been edited by gap1916 (edited 09-10-2001).][This message has been edited by gap1916 (edited 09-10-2001).]