In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Harris Bipods

marxsmanmarxsman Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
Of the Harris bipods, which would you recommend for hunting, swivel models or fixed? Also, any comments on the various leg lengths available will be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    SP TigerSP Tiger Member Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can only comment on the fixed model, as I have not used the swivel base model, but as far as length, I had a 13-23 inch bipod that was just too long. I am 6'2" tall and even at it's lowest position it was too tall. I am going to get the 9-13 inch version, the model "L", I believe it is. If I had to guess, I would say the swivel base model would be good for hunting because of the likelyhood of being on uneven terrain.
    Better to have and not need, than need and not have.
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Swivel!How do you think you will shoot?Prone,get the shortSitting,get the tallcpermd
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 9-13" with swivel, you would think it would be an advantage but I hate it. If it hadn't been original equipment on my SR-25 I'd have traded it off long ago ...
    GUN CONTROL: If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    smooth_operatorsmooth_operator Member Posts: 227 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can get the fixed models and love it all you want...up untill you shoot on uneven ground and your canted rifle starts to produce shots that are way off target. Basically, these swivel models are made for the more distinguishing (sometimes *-retentive comes to mind) shooters out there. On a real time scenario like a hunt for example, there are instances where a person wouldnt have time to set up his gear and equipment and shoot whatever hes aiming for... sometimes all the time you have is to drop to the ground open your bipod, check nyour sights and pull your trigger.Then again, all these is arguable, in the end its just a matter of preference.-Smooth
  • Options
    ghotie_thumperghotie_thumper Member Posts: 1,561 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got the 13-23 inch model on my 338 win mag. In the prone position I can comfortably get behind the scope on the 13" setting and while in the sitting position the 23" setting is just fine. I'm only 6' tall. I've only used it hunting 2 times, elk and mule deer. It worked great. The legs are adjustable and will extend to whatever length you need to match the terrain. There is a small wheel on each leg next to the release tab that will lock the leg to any length you need. It is true that you may not have the time to use a bipod but it is there when you do have time and they are rock solid.