In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

field stripping the S&W Model 410

tightbredtightbred Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
My used 410 came without the book. Can anyone help me out with specific directions on how to field strip it?

Comments

• Options
    compgunfirecompgunfire Member Posts: 95 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    1. Remove the mag. and make/check safe.2. Pull the slide back approx 1/2 inch and press/pull the slide lock out of the frame.3. Remove the slide assembly from the frame by pulling it forward.4. Remove the recoil spring and guide rod from underneath the barrel.5. Hold the slide with the barrel lug facing up, pull the barrel out of the slide by grasping the the barrel lug and pulling up & backwards.Hope this helps
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    It breaks down like most automatics, but you can't releave the spring pressure. You have to force the slide back so the radial notch in the slide aligns with the end of the slide stop that is nearer the grip. Then force the slide stop out by pressing the slide stop from the opposite side. Pull the stop all the way out and let the slide move forward and off of the front end of the gun. Note that the spring is held by a very small notch cut into the bottom of the barrel. Be very careful here, or it will pop out and never be seen again. Remove it by grasping it FIRMLY, and pushing down and towards the muzzel end of the barrel. You can then manuver it out of the slide thereby releasing the barrel for cleaning. Send you mailing address to my work e-mail, and I'll copy off some of the book I have for a 5906. They are simular enough to give you the information you need. You know the E-mail.Regards,dheffley
    Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE!
  • Options
    fergusonmorse392fergusonmorse392 Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    send, call, or email s&w, for an owners manual, they will send you one free