In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

nickel plated cases

jager22jager22 Member Posts: 197 ✭✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
Iam new to reloading and was wondering if the nickel cases can be tumbled ,reloaded, etc. like the brass cases?, or if there were any different measures that must be taken to reload..

Comments

• Options
    will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    Do know that they cost more and clog up dies when the nickel chips off. Didn't take long to figure it out either! Save yourself a headache and go with regular brass. I got talked out of that nickel stuff quick when I saw what happens when it clogs a die.
    You can run, but you'll just die tired!Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, RELOAD!
  • Options
    badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use some nickle pistol cases and never had a problem. Nickle doesn't seem to last as long as brass though.
  • Options
    SP TigerSP Tiger Member Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used nickel plated handgun brass quite a bit, and for the most part it's great, but sometimes it seems to split at the mouth easier than standard brass. Also, someone at RCBS told me that they do not recommend you reload nickel plated rifle brass. I found out by experience that it is thicker in the neck and it was shaving off some of the bullet. Plain old brass seems to be easier to reload.
    Better to have and not need, than need and not have.
  • Options
    fergusonmorse392fergusonmorse392 Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if your talking pistol cases& you have carbide dies, the only problem might be some what shorter life due to case splitting; if your talking rifle cases, your dies will be junk in short order, & you will be better off not loading them; i.e. get brass cases
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I personally found that if you by new nickel cases and load them, they last longer then new regular brass, but if you find it on the range it probably originally contained a +P load and was stressed alot, so won't last as long as regular brass. I have never found them any harder to load than regular brass either. Be carefull picking up what you think may be nickel plated cases off the range, several times I have come across steel cases. They unlike the nickel plated cases don't reload very well.I love them, they cost a little more than regular brass but I think its well worth it.
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've never tried nickel plated rifle cases though, only pistol.