In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mateba by American Arms?

axlerfanaxlerfan Member Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
Anyone familiar with the Mateba pistol/revolver imported by American Arms? Apparently is a revolver, but the barrel and cylinder move back when fired like an auto. This rotatest the cylinder to the next chamber. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you, Daniel

Comments

• Options
    AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Axlerfan:I am sure that you were not ignored. I am willing to bet that a lot of us looked at your post and had to "punt" because we had no experience with the "Mateba". The only thing I know about it is what I have read. I have never seen one and I certain could not afford one.Secondly - I have tried to reach American Arms many times in the last couple of months useing every address and telephone number I could find in any book I have. Absolutely no luck. Either they are out of business or have moved to another location. If they have gone "belly-up", getting parts/service may be a "booger-bear".
  • Options
    royc38royc38 Member Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Axler:Have not fired one but I have handled one. The way it was explained me was basically a semi-revolver. They appear to be well made and for what they do they are balanced although I am used to the barrel being on the top rather than on the bottom. They say that this is an advantage but I don't know either. The one I looked at was a .357 with a six inch barrel, blued finish. Trigger pull was smooth and everything was tight. Other than that I don't know what else to tell you.
  • Options
    axlerfanaxlerfan Member Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Royce, thanks that is somewhat want i was wanting to know, if someone had actually seen one. ive never seen one myself, tho i have seen pictures of them. wondering if it was worth spending the 700 bucks for one (not as a shooter, just something different to stuff my safe with)...Adams, thanks for taking the time to respond also...was starting to think maybe you guys didnt like me or something..lol..
  • Options
    spclarkspclark Member Posts: 408
    edited November -1
    First hand:I bought a Mateba 44 Magnum AutoLoader a year ago July.6" compensated barrel, which can be interchanged with a 4" and an 8".North American Arms is the exclusive US importer; distribution is exclusively handled by Kiesler Police Supply and Ammunition Co., http://www.kiesler.com/ who also offer complete technical and service support.Their AutoRevolver is chambered for either .357 Magnum or .44 Remington Magnum; there has been rumors of Mateba building a model in .454 Casull as well but I haven't confirmed this. They also are reportedly building a carbine built on the same action.It's a beautiful shooter (mine is nickel-plated) and more accurate than I can shoot, but I have to admit I have had problems with mine - all of which have been resolved by Kielser's in a timely (no-cost) fashion.Cost? Mine was less than a new Mark IX Desert Eagle, but not by much.Complexity? VERY - I liken it to the Ferrari of handguns; the hammer/trigger/slide is quite remarkable to behold. The piece NEVER fails to inspire questions & comments from those around me, whenever & wherever I shoot it.Should other list-members wish, please post an e-mail address and I'll reply personally - with photos, should you desire. Understand that this may take a day or three and may take awhile to download as well if you're not on a high-speed data connection.
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It wasn't the first or only semi-auto revolver ever made. I believe that the original Semi-Auto Revolver ever made was the Webly-Fosbery. But at the time it was produced Colt's 1911 was just becoming popular and it never really hit, it was considered to be the answer to a question never asked. The Webley-Fosbery is a collector's item, which I personally have been trying to find for quite some time for a reasonable cost, with no luck. They were produced in the .445webley, but about 2000 were made in a .38shrt colt 8-shot model. I am looking for the later, in any condition, preferably poor condition.The American Arms Mateba is the only other semi-auto revolver ever sucessfully produced and marketed that I'm aware of. They seem to have a pretty high price tag from what I've seen $650-850.