In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Old Colt SAA

mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
I recently acquired a 1873, Colt, SAA in .45 Colt, serial # 39,XXX. Sadly, as with too many, of these old Colts, this specimen has been buffed (poorly), re-blued, re-barreled, and the thumb knurl on the hammer has been worked on with a wide, triangle file. In short, the poor thing hasn't received much respect. I have slugged the bore and matched the rifling with slugs from both a know 1st. and 2nd. generation, nothing matches. The rifling looks more like the 2nd.generation rifling (smokeless power), but it is not exactly the same.
And now for the good news! The numbers on the frame, trigger guard and back strap match. The old, wood, one-piece grips fit well and may be original, but are lightly refinished. I can make out 2 digits of a serial # on the cylinder, but from these numbers, it can't be the original one. You can make out the patent dates on the left frame and the 45 CAL on the trigger guard. The gun indexes properly and goes on safety and half cock.

It would be nice to restore some of this old Colts' dignity. Is it worth it? I've only got $100.00 in it. It will never be a collectable, but I have been thinking about getting a correct period barrel and hammer and maybe a cylinder from coltparts.com. Assuming proper repair, would it be safe to shoot? Maybe I'm just too sentimental. I hate to just part this thing out. Comments Please.

Comments

• mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Would someone who has the proper research data please tell me when a Colt SAA was made?The serial # is 74969. It's in .38-40 cal.Thanks,Mudge
    Anyone who CAN carry, SHOULD carry!
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    got a line on an old Colt SAA that is stamped Pall Mall London.Serial number 1353. no Colt insignia's on the grips. grip looks like it takes a butt stock attachment. no other numbers.nay ideas would be appreciated! black grips (forgot that bit)