In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

pistol vs rifle scope

dearchaserdearchaser Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
Just picked up a 14" 30-30 barrel for my T. Contender. This will be used for hunting. Seems to me a compact rifle scope would work well shooting out of a stand/blind where short eye relief is not a problem. I'm leaning this way due to the few choices I'm finding in pistol scopes. What say you experts?

Comments

• Options
    PelicanPelican Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ya gots to be able to hold it tight enough so as not to get "ring around the eye".
    "Audemus jura nostra defendere"- - - - - - - - - - - - - It is useless to hold a person accountable for anything they say while in love, drunk, or running for office.
  • Options
    lrarmsxlrarmsx Member Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pelican has it nailed. Saw a guy once at a gun show carrying a TC pistol with a scope on it. I asked if it was for sale. He said yes. I asked how much. He said "You'll have to talk to him, (pointing to the guy behind him) its his." That guy looked up sheepishly. He had a lot of swelling and more than a dozen stitches around his eye. He had put a rifle scope on his TC pistol and fired once, yes one shot. Opened him up like a cookie cutter.
  • Options
    spclarkspclark Member Posts: 408
    edited November -1
    Guess there's one in every "crowd;" you'd think that if'n that T/C'd been fired BEFORE the rifle scope had been added they guy with his finger on the trigger (& now the 'scope in his EYE) would have known better... if it ain't at arm's length, it's gonna' bite.Now I DO admit to having a "rifle" scope on one of my 14" T/C's but that one's chambered for 22LR.The more people on Earth the thinner "Common Sense" seems to be spread amongst them.
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    A decent compact rifle scope or shotgun scope is going to cost as much as a good pistol scope and the choices will be almost identical in magnification,objective size and clarity.IMHO stick to a pistol scope.I have a variable T/C scope I am very happy with and a $50 Simmons that is a pain in the *.
  • Options
    dearchaserdearchaser Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the advice gentlemen. I've found a Leupold pistol scope which should do the job.