In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

SBR registration???

KadaverKadaver Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
For those of you that don't know SBR = "Short Barreled Rifle". I saw a shotgun a little while ago and am now considering making one. It was a remington 870 with the barrell cut down to right infront of the magazine. It had like a 12 inch barrel. I was wondering if anyone knew the exact steps of acquring the appropriate papers make this legal. He told me he had to fill out some forms, fork over like 200 bucks, and wait a long time to get it. Just wondering if anyone have any specifics.....I think it would be a great Home defense shottie (manuverability wise.

Comments

• Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yea, I'm kinda interested in that myself. I know that when you cut the barrel of a shotgun under 18" it is nolonger considered a "long-gun" but an "Any Other Weapon." And I know that they have to be registered, but I don't know if its any different than a Class III gun or not. I don't really think that its legal to cut the barrel, I think it would have had to been done before 1989 assault arms ban.
  • Options
    KadaverKadaver Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The guy i talked to said that it could be done and that he had only done it a few years ago.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I am not mistaken, this is what they tried to get Randy Weaver for, having him cut a shortgun barrel less that 18".We all know what happened with that.
  • Options
    mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    rsnyder55 is right. You don't need that grief. Anyway, what would be gained by having the shorter barrel? The 6" shouldn't make that big a difference in manuverability and you're going to have a MUCH larger shot pattern. How many hallways need cleaning at one time? Mudge
    Anyone who CAN carry, SHOULD carry!
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ever since I saw that John Wayne movie El Dorado, I've always wanted a shotgun like Mississippi's.
  • Options
    74cuda74cuda Member Posts: 417 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You must get PRIOR approval from ATF before making a short barrel shotgun. You will also pay $200 for the tax stamp and have to follow the rules for NFA weapons. If you purchase a short barrel shotgun that came that way directly from the factory, there is only a $5 charge, as it is classified as an "AOW" weapon (any other weapon). Contact your local ATF office to get the right paperwork if you still want to go thru with it.
    "In God We Trust........All Others Go Thru NCIC"