In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

info needed on old shotgun please!

wiredogwiredog Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
I purchased over the weekend an old SXS 12ga. The only markings I can find on it are: MASSACHUSETTS ARMS CO. on left side if receiver. A patent date of FEB.10-1914, what looks like a four leaf clover on the underside of the receiver near the forearm. Ser # is 53,6XX and is found on the bbl,receiver,forearm,and mounting hardware inside the forearm. Has 12 guage on the bbl. One choke is full and the other is modified. Barrel length is 30" and they are steel. I would like to know the age, value, and any history on the manufacturer. The gun shoots well and has double hammers and triggers. Has a rib with a bead. The stock has been patched with some filler in a couple places. I bought it for cowboy shooting and will use it for such. Thank you.
I spent all my money on guns, women, and beer. The rest I just wasted.wiredog70@hotmail.com

Comments

• Options
    AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Massachusetts Arms Company was a name that was used by both J. Stevens Arms and Tool Company, and by Crescent Firearms Company for shotguns made for Blish, Mizet, and Silliman Hardware Company of Atchison, Kansas. I have my suspicions as to which one made it, but I will defer to "AntiqueDr.", whenever he comes on line.In either case, they should be fine shooters.
  • Options
    AntiqueDrAntiqueDr Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's almost certainly a Crescent. Folsom, Davis, Crescent, Stevens they all merged here and there over the first part of the 20th century. The basic design remained unchanged.They were inexpensive, utility shotguns in their day and many survive to today. Do yourself a huge favor and have the gun checked thoroughly by a competent gunsmith before shooting it...
    We buy, sell and trade quality guns and scopes!Ask us about Shepherd Scopes!Visit our website at www.ApaxEnterprises.com
  • Options
    wiredogwiredog Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks for the replies.
    I spent all my money on guns, women, and beer. The rest I just wasted.wiredog70@hotmail.com