In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mini-14 folding stock question

duster68duster68 Member Posts: 228 ✭✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
Hi all,I've just purchased an older Mini-14, one of the earlier models that came with a wood handguard and steel butt plate. I'd like to install a Butler Creek or Choate folding stock on it, and put the wood stock that's on it on a later model stainless rancher that I also own. Are these stocks compatible in terms of inlay, size, etc?

Comments

• Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unless it is a very early model (I believe the serial numbers begin with 186) the stocks are interchangeable. I had one & got rid of it when I discovered the problems in getting parts. The easiest way to tell the two stocks apart is the depth of the foreend. The gas port was lowered & the newer stock has a much deeper gap under the barrel.Note: The above number is wrong, it should be 180.[This message has been edited by gruntled (edited 09-12-2001).]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. The numbers start with 180. I guess this mean that mine is a very early model, correct?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    There have been several requests for parts.I just did a search on the wanted to buysection & it appears I was wrong in remembering the number. It is the 180 series.To answer your question, the stocks are definitely not interchangeable. All of the replacement stocks were made for the later models & none will fit your rifle. The stock on the rifle I owned had been cut back & afolding shotgun stock had been grafted on. Because of the new Kalifornia assult gun lawI tried to find a replacement stock & that was when I discovered the problem. I finallygave up trying to find a replacement stock & sold the gun to a dealer at the Los Vegas gun show. There have also been people trying to find replacement bolts & extractors to no avail.[This message has been edited by gruntled (edited 09-12-2001).]
  • Options
    boeboeboeboe Member Posts: 3,331
    edited November -1
    To verify the year it was made, it would be better to check the serial numbers at mini14world.com, as the ranch rifles have a different prefix. The serial number of those made before the ban can be easily determined there.[This message has been edited by boeboe (edited 09-12-2001).]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Gruntled, I've heard others talking about the difficultly finding replacement parts for older mini's like mine. Should I not shoot this thing as much as I'd previously wanted? I'm more than happy to park this puppy in my safe. It's such a beautiful gun and I'm proud to own. I also love the stainless rancher and have no problem shooting just that gun.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If anything breaks you are left with an expensive club. I would sell it while it still works. I am less than thrilled that Ruger would leave their customers in the lurch like this. [This message has been edited by gruntled (edited 09-12-2001).]