In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

44 Magnum

thesupermonkeythesupermonkey Member Posts: 3,905 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
I am going to purchase a 44 magnum revolver. I don't particularly want it for hunting or defensive purposes, I just want one. I am looking at a 4 inch barrel. Any thoughts on the quality of Taurus, Smith&Wesson, Ruger etc. I don't want the single action. I want a double action. As always thanks for your replies.

Comments

• thesupermonkeythesupermonkey Member Posts: 3,905 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just got a 44 Magnum in a trade and must admit I know nothing about the round itself. I don't hunt and mainly use my weapons for plinking/self defense. Is the 44 Mag a good Self Defense cartridge? How expensive is the round? What other types of comparable loads are there out there? What is the best deal on good plinking ammo for a 44 Mag.Thanks,Mad Monkey
  • tajjntajjn Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    PLINK! with a 44mag, not. I have several, and I think from another post on the discusion sections that you have a S&W 629(good gun), had one with around a 6 inch barrel and was real accurate. Try finding some Samson in 44, don't remember the price, but for me to buy 6 boxes, it must have been cheap, and it seems accurate and dependable. Another inexpensive ammo in 44 ,is I believe called American Arms? Any factory load in 44 is going to kick, but God help what ever you hit. Try some CCI Lawman loads for a thrill.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Surprised you asked Supermonkey. It is a great selfdefense round if you want to get the burglers three houses away.
  • Ronald J. SnowRonald J. Snow Member Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 44 Mag. is an excellent round for anything; hunting, plinking and target. I use Federal 240 grain for everyday carry use in my store and have carried this gun for the past 21 years. Recoil is not unmanageable; it certainly is not the same as a 22. Let the gun recoil and relax, it will not hurt you. The S&W 29, 6", that I have has been fired thousands of times and is still as tight as a drum and accurate. I have even had it refinished twice due to holster wear. If you are worried about over penetration, use Safety Slugs. As far as I am concerned there isn't a better handgun cartridge made.
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Saxon,It sounds like you may have some load info ... how many grains and of what powder are you talking about?signed,a guy without a chronagraph
    GUN CONTROL: If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • metzmetz Member Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have some 44. mag (300gr XTP bullet spit out by about 24gr of H110 started by a magnum primer). It moves at about 1350fps and will penetrate and kill about anything in N. America (proper shot shot placement is always key). For plinking buy 44 special or reload low. The .44 mag is one of the more versatile rounds. I suggest a Ruger SBH. The kick is a controlable lunge, similar but less sharp than a .357 mag (.44 has a heavier frame). You should be able to enjoy it. Be cautious about using it for home def. A typical PMC .44 rem mag round will go through the bad guy a couple walls your kid, another wall or two and kill the neighbor working on his car. The engine block will stop it, however.Andy
  • spclarkspclark Member Posts: 408
    edited November -1
    Use caution when "down"loading .44 Remington Magnum; the large case capacity can contribute to detonation of powder loads when significant reductions are made in recommended weights of propellant.Some propellants are more prone to this than others (H110 & 296 cometo mind); reloading manuals should be respected.If you're new to reloading, please locate & ask questions of others' who have some experience. Acknowledge the need for safety for yourself & those around you when you shoot.
    edited November -1
    Saxon,Thanks for your follow-up comment: I endeavor to use caution when to not do so can lead to personal injury.Whether detonation has ever been proven or not, are there no drawbacks (as I've been told) when propellants move about unpredictably inside a cartridge?Metz's load does sound hot; I use 24gr H110 behind 240gr jacketed bullets though I prefer 22 or 23 grains of 296 behind 300's, WLP primers for all.
  • metzmetz Member Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, I would consider it very hot. +P+. I use a 7.5" Stainless Steel Super Blackhawk. It is awsome and arguably one of the strongest. I would not suggest this load for anyone that isn't familiar with reloading and their specific firearm. However, I worked this up and just chronoed it last weekend (thanks cowboy and chris!!). It will stop any hog and I believe would do a Griz or moose. It may only knock him down with the first, but that gives you a second and that is all you would need. It rips through trees that stop a .308 with enough force that a fist sized piece wood pulp is on the exit side. This works beacause it is at the point of compression and is very slow burning with an * kicker primer. The conjunction is a very nice package. I can shoot the regular Rem Mags, probably three boxes in a row, these babies make ared mark between the thumb and forefinger on the palm after 3 shots and become uncomfortable after 6. NEVER EXCEED THE LIMITS OF YOUR RELOADING MANUALS TABLES! I have worked this load up for a specific purpose and have worked with my gun for many years. 300 gr slugs are a breed all by themselves, trying to get them over 1200fps can be dangerous. I feel comfy with my load, but do not think it is for evryone, especially beginners.As a side note: 10 rds all with in 8fps of eachother!! I was quite proud (and probably lucky). They are quite an experience to shoot and see hit anything. As for self def. I would carry this anywhere as protection against unarmed anything. The .44mag for home stuff is not what I use or suggest. 2 legged and confined areas dictate other methods.AndyP.S. "load detonation" ain't that the general idea???[This message has been edited by metz (edited 09-12-2001).]
  • RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Monkey, I've never tried these loads, but I understand the "Hollywood Loads" used by Clint Eastwood and others have the ability to lift the bad guys off their feet and propell the victum backwards 6 to 10 feet. I'm sure these would be adequate for your needs.
  • SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have mostly used Blue Dot for high end loads except in the ruger carbine. 16 grains of Blue Dot for the 240 gr. jacketed is nice. I had worked up to 18 grains but found it to be unnecessary and didnt want to hammer my S&W. For the 44 Ruger carbine and the 265 JHP I use 21 grains of 296. It works real well with no pressure signs. I would hesitate to use it in a revolver, especially Smith and Wesson. For a nice mild load I use 7 grains of Unique for a 240 grain cast bullet. As always, approach all loads with caution.
  • BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    Monkey - I don't no why this is a difficult question to answer. You have a S&W 629 in .44 mag that you want to plink with and use as a self defense gun. Only one answer to this, a good .44 Special round. I suggest the 200 grain Gold Dot Hollow Point by CCI/Blazer. BTW, it "HAS BEEN PROVEN AND DOCUMENTED" that down loaded cartridges, especially the partially filled cases do misfire and can cause serious injury and damage to the weapon. This is a common problem with people downloading the 454 Casull because they cannot handle the recoil.
    Protect our Constitutional Rights.
    edited November -1
    Saxon, again my thanks. The inaccuracy you mentioned is what I'd wanted confirmation about; WHERE the propellant is when the primer goes off, as well as HOW MUCH is in the space available are the two factors affecting the physics of the gas pressures produced. I believe it's in Sierra's latest manual that some propellants not filling the space more than 70 - 90% can act more like high explosives than propellants, i.e., going off all at once from a propagated shock wave rather than the more controlled rapid burn desired.My personal choices in this caliber are the Desert Eagle MarkVII, a T/C Contender in 14" and the Ruger 99. My thanks to their engineers & manufacturers; my thanks to all who've contributed a great deal of information on this excellent caliber.
  • PelicanPelican Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yo Metz: I carried a 6" 29 when I policed in the mid 70's. Had a similar load using 24 gr H110 and cast 240 gr SWC using wheel weights and adding tin to make 'em very hard. Called 'em my car stoppers. Went to a friends junkyard and firing thru the fender they would indeed knock a big chunk out of most blocks as long as it cleared the frame. Really not very practical but a good item for conversation in the morning coffee chat.
    "Audemus jura nostra defendere"- - - - - - - - - - - - - It is useless to hold a person accountable for anything they say while in love, drunk, or running for office.