In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Gun registration

jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
I lost several registered guns awhile back. Unfortunately the records of serial numbers was also taken. An inside job I suspect. The pistols were registered to me at purchase. What entity keeps the records? Can I get the serial numbers from there? I'd sure like to have that number if my gun pops up at a pawn shop.Is there a stolen gun registery out there assuming I can get the serial numbers? Tanks for any help.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    A friend of mine says the goverment keeps all gun registration so they can know who bought any gun when a crime is commited. I though all records were destroyed after the ffl holder calls in and gets approval. Please help settle this dispute, I need the lunch we bet. Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If I see a gun at a flea market or anywhere that I am interest in buying what is the quickest and easiest way to check and see who's name this is registered in and if it is reported stolen. I just feel sometimes unsure when I see a gun I would like to buy and would hate to purchase a stolen gun. The ATF just recently stormed the home of a neighbor and tore his house upside down(even emptied his flower pots out) They did find a gun that had been stolen over thirty years go and this person is only 35 years old. I know he didn't do this.
  • Options
    mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whether a flea market or a gun show, if I buy a gun from a private seller, I ask for a bill of sale and ID. If it's on the "up and up" they should be willing to do that. I've never run across someone who wasn't. If the seller refused, I'd walk away and probably alert the security folks.Mudge
    Anyone who CAN carry, SHOULD carry![This message has been edited by mudge (edited 09-10-2001).]
  • Options
    HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    Us here folks in Florida can use the site https://www.isthisgunstolen.com/ to check on stolen guns. Guess we're sort of coming along with that there technology stuff. Still trying to count, tho.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I put a gun up on consignment that I had bought several years before at a gun show. A few days later two cops came to my house & told me it was stolen & had been used in a shooting. I found the canceled check I had bought it with & it had, Luger & the serial number, written on it. They took the canceledcheck & I never heard another word about it& that was over thirty years ago. I even got my money from the gun store for the sale.Of course it wasn't yet the "People's Democratik Republik of Kalifornia" at that time.
  • Options
    boeboeboeboe Member Posts: 3,331
    edited November -1
    I hate to keep saying this, but there IS NO FEDERAL GUN REGISTRATION. There may be registration in some states, but if you can legally buy a gun at a flea market on a cash and carry basis, there is no registration in your state.The way it is suppose to work (and still does in some States, such as Kansas) is when you fill out the yellow form and he calls in the NICS check, the government never knows exactly what gun you are buying. All they know is you bought a gun. The dealer keeps the yellow form until he quits the business or retires. At that time the yellows are turned in to the ATF.Of course, the ATF can look at a dealers yellow forms at any time, but unless there is a reason to do so, they generally don't.If a gun turns up at a crime scene, they will find out who the manufacturer sold the gun to. That person will be the dealer (unless the manufacturer does the yellow form). They will then go to the dealer and look at his yellow forms to see who purchased that particular firearm.There is no Federal data base which covers every state which will tell you who the original purchaser of a firearm is. There are states that might be trying to compile that data, but it isn't happening in every state by any means.I have purchased guns from dealers years ago, and those dealers are still holding the yellow forms. They have never turned that information into the ATF, and the ATF has never asked for it. All the Feds know is I purchased a gun. They don't know the particulars.
  • Options
    Mr. TimMr. Tim Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I reside in TN. and all I have to do is go down to the sheriffs office and the person at the desk will call an officer and the officer will gladley run the the numbers right then and there and let you know that it is clear and clean. If the gun is stolden they will keep the gun and ask you where you got it. They are not interested in taking the honest people to jail, they want the crooks out there to suffer not us!
  • Options
    ref44ref44 Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had an FFL for 21+ years. I have been audited twice; each time, the agent looked at the last 100 4473's for any underage sales or any "wrong answers" to any questions. I have been called twice on gun traces. I now have about 2300 4473's in my files.