In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

338 reload advice please

donnewkirkdonnewkirk Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone have experiance with the light 338 bullets that Barnes offers. Would like to know how the 185, 175 and 165 gr fly and how they work on thin skinned medium game.ThanksB

Comments

• Options
    rg666rg666 Member Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All the Barnes bullets work well on thin skins. I would not waste the money for Barnes bullets though. Nosler, Hornady, Sierra all make less expensive bullets that do the same damage. If you need a reccomendation or specific load let me know. RG
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks, but the question was not really about the brand, although the only place I could find 338 bullets that light was Barnes. My question was the proformance of any 338 that light. I'm sure that is much lower then the optimum bullet weight.B
  • Options
    drawndrawn Member Posts: 544
    edited November -1
    This months Guns and Ammo has an artical on this subject leaning twards heavier is better.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    And i would agree if the gun is designed to shoot heavier....for example a 308 is optimum at 167. It will shoot 120 but not as well. Here is the deal....I am looking at a 400 yard shot cross wind at a 80 lb animal. i thought my 25-06 was the ticket but a 15 knot cross wind proved to much for me with that light of a bullet... 4 times. On line but wide of the target ever time. I have been told buy guys that hunt this area all the time that a 30 cal is a must due to wind. I have a good 338 that should significantly help with the wind but I do not want to shoot these guys with 200 gr. Any ideas?B