In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

6x40 or 3x9x40

quamnetquamnet Member Posts: 332 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
I was wondering which scope would be better to mount on my AK, I would use it for hunting. (6x40 or 3x9x40) Both are in the same price range and both are made by Leapers. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You didn't tell us the circumstances under which you'd be hunting, so I offer two conflicting opinions. Take the one that fits your plans: (1) Were I shooting in brush or forest, I'd choose a fixed power for the wider field of view and the ability to more rapidly pick up running game. My personal choice would be a 4x. (2) Were I shooting in more open areas I'd choose the 3x-9x for versatility. If you're planning to hunt in both situations, then the 3x-9x is the choice.
  • Options
    quamnetquamnet Member Posts: 332 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the feedback....actually I would be hunting in both circumstances.
  • Options
    ghotie_thumperghotie_thumper Member Posts: 1,561 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 3x9 is more versatile for close shots in dense timber. A fixed 4 power is a good all around choice. My daughter's 257 Roberts has a 4x leupold on it and it will shoot sub inch groups all day at a measured 100yds. The fixed power scopes generally give you a wider field of view than a variable will at the same power setting. 6x may not focus at short distances that may be encountered in heavy brush or timber. You might go look at a 2x7 leupold, compact and light.
  • Options
    DaRoostaDaRoosta Member Posts: 270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My opinion is that it's nice to have a low-power option for dense hunting areas. It's easier to pick up your target. All my hunting rifles have variable scopes. I dial them down to the miniumum when I'm hunting in dense cover; if I need the higher power for a little bit longer shot, I dial it up. Anything between 2-7 and 3.5-10 is a good choice.