In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Sar 8

The JokerThe Joker Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
Any thoughts on the quality of the Springfield SAR 8 or 4800. What is the difference between the two other than the obvious stock. What should I look for when buying one?Thanks

Comments

• briscobrisco Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Joker,The Springfield 4800 is, I believe, their version of the great FN-FAL. The SAR 8 is Springfield's version of the HK 91, which is the civilian model of the HK G3.I've not owned or seen a 4800, so I cannot coment on the quality of them, but I believe that they were (or are) made using a new domestic receiver and new imported parts.I believe that Springfield has discontinued the SAR8 because they could not find enough high-quality new parts.I have a SAR8, and it is made from new imported parts on a Hesse aluminum receiver. Mine had a slight cycling problem when new, that has since been fixed. I've only shot it up to 100 yrds, and it is certainly more accurate than I am with the iron sights. I know that I need more practice. The rifle kicks like a mule and always puts a grin on my face when I pull the trigger.Some have claimed that the aluminum receivers will show signs of stress or will lose accuracy after several thousand rounds. I've not seen this, but I've only fired mine less than 200.Do you know of someone selling the Springfield 4800?Regards, Brisco