In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

HELP ! Need reload info.

orooro Member Posts: 174 ✭✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
Could someone please tell me if the amount of powder used to reload 55 grain speer spitzers and 55 grain nozler spitzers (plastic tip) is the same.I'm using H4895 powder.Thanks,Oro

Comments

• spec.4spec.4 Member Posts: 897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    what round? need more info to give help
  • cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As long as you are not at max it is OKcpermd
  • steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anytime you switch components when reloading you are supposed to back off the powder charge 10% then raise powder weight a little at a time checking for pressure signs until you hit book maximum.
  • The ButcherThe Butcher Member Posts: 160 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do a quick cross reference in a couple of reloading manuals. If you do not have, what caliber. I do not have a speer manual, but have a nosler. I could tell you what max is for that, and perhaps someone else out there with a speer book could provide the information you seek.
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    oro - read & heed what steve45 said. Your rifle - to say nothing of your health! - is worth far more than what you will save by shortcutting this basic safety practice. Not to mention, you may find that you have a far better load well below max velocity with your new components. This is often the case . . . *very* often. In general, best accuracy is usually achieved at velocities below max . . . and a bullet that hits at 3200 fps works a whole lot better than one that misses at 3500. Another generality that usually has worked for me - except when dealing with something that was originally a black powder loading - a load that duplicates factory ballistics usually works better than Billy Bob's supersonic homebrewed recipe. JMHO, based on my personal experience, and to quote O.W. Holmes, "No generality is worth a damn, including this one." But steve45's post is .0001 MOA; do it his way & in the long run you will be a much happier camper.