In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.44 Mag - Which to choose?

LimpyLimpy Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
I am trying to get an experts opinion on which .44 magnum would be the better of the lot. I am looking for a large frame, with a 4" or maybe 5" barrel (something which would fit nicely in a shoulder holster, while fishing/hunting etc.) I didn't find the Ruger Redhawk to be all that comfortable in my hand, plus it's a tad large for my needs. The Smith and Wesson model 629 has my main focus currently, while a Modal 44 Taurus looks to be a good gun as well. Of those two, is there any input on which would be a better buy? Maybe I am overlooking a gun elsewere? I have heard "bad machining" stories from Taurus, but have nothing to base that one other then a displeased customer. Any and all input is greatly recieved. - Thanks
God Bless the USA

Comments

• Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My choice between the two would be the Smith & Wesson. With that said you are going to get alot of greif with that decision because of Smith's sell out to Clinton. That's a personal choice you'll have to make. Based just on the features of the two, I think Smith's have a nicer action and trigger. Another consideration might be the Colt Anaconda. I see this is your first post, welcome to the board....enjoy your stay and don't take any snide remarks too seriously.
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Rembrant's right. S&W is the best, but you will hear some of the folks here lambaste you if you go that direction. If you want to avoid supporting S&W, buy a pre-agreement used weapon. You can find them in new condition and save a little money too.
    Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE!
  • Options
    mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got a S&W 29, 6" bbl circa 1978. Yeah, I ran out and bought after watching "Dirty Harry". (Don't tell me none of you guys didn't.) It's had a trigger tune and I don't think I've ever fired a smoother action in double or single action. I'm sure you'll like the S&W regardless of the grief you might get.(You won't get any from me.)Mudge
    Anyone who CAN carry, SHOULD carry!Let me update that.Anyone who CAN carry, BETTER carry.[This message has been edited by mudge (edited 09-16-2001).]
  • Options
    metzmetz Member Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try the Super Black Hawk. It and the Red Hawk are the best .44mags available. The Smith would be next on my list. The more frame the easier and better they are to shoot.Andy
  • Options
    BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    Andy is right. The stainless SBH in a 4 5/8" length. Less than $400 new. It will take anythng you feed it.Boomer
    Protect our Constitutional Rights.
  • Options
    fxdwg98fxdwg98 Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Desert Eagle!If you are looking for a revolver I would look at the Smith first. The Rugers don't fit my hand either, although I have shot them and think they are good quality. The Taurus Raging Bull is a good gun, too.
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    fxdwg98 ... Ya beat me to it!What would be uncomfortable about packing almost 6 pounds of steel ... Hummm
    GUN CONTROL: If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    S&W 629 Mountain Gun
  • Options
    LightningLightning Member Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dont forget the Anaconda. Fits my hand real well.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the S&W Backpacker. The barrel is short enough to be carried behind the hip ala Skeeter Skelton.Besides, the shoulder holster harness may affect shouldering your rifle.[This message has been edited by rsnyder55 (edited 09-17-2001).]