In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Opinons on a Ruger sp-101???

KadaverKadaver Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
anyone have any opinions....good or bad about the sp101 with a 2 in barrel for a home defensive weapon. I dont want an auto for my primary pistol.

Comments

• Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Heavy!For home that would be OK,I guess.Why not a 4-5" 357 if at home?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Heavy as in weight or size of bullet?....I like heavier pistols (glocks, keltecs do not appeal to me at all, I like Rugers/berettas/Sigs) and the sp fits my hand perfectly if i put houge grips on.what would YOU recommend?If i get a sp101 i want it in a 2" cuz i dont like the look of it with the longer barrel, it would be less accurate yes, but i only need something that will hit a human size target at 15-20 feet. eventually it will become my carry gun and i will replace it with a Gp100 or a S&W 686 with a 4-6" barrel for home. In any case however it is still secondary to my remington 870.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    SP101 is on my bedstand right now.They just weigh a lot
  • Options
    edited November -1
    do you like its performance??? any problems with it?
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kad,I've got Ruger's SP101 in 9mm (it uses the full moom clips) with the 2 1/4 in. barrel.I love the feel of it. The factory rubber grip is perfect for my hand (with most guns I'm always "playing" with the grip to make it feel better--not the case with the 101).Only "problem" I had with it was when I tried my favorite 9mm rounds (Corbon 115 gr. +P); the cases expanded too much and made extraction difficult.I now use Hornady Custom 90gr if it's loaded for defense--I've never chronographed it myself, but the chart results I've seen indicate the lighter bullet will give the greatest velocities and highest energy when used with the short barrel.I still prefer an automatic for home defense--as it can go from completely unloaded to fully loaded even faster than with the moon clips. And recoil is always softer with auto (I'm a bit of a sissy when it comes to recoil). I'm just a "mechanical person" too so the function/complexity of the auto doesn't "intimidate" me as it seems to do for some revolver lovers; but Ruger's SP101 will be with me for life; it's a "keeper" gun.Buy one, you'll understand it then. (I'm going to get a SP101 in 22lr with a four in. barrel, when I find the price I want--that will be a keeper too).
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Lets put it this wayIt IS on my bedside table right now
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hahahah...thanks guys....