In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt 45 SA

rballirballi Member Posts: 770 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
Blue Book aside, what would a 2nd Generation (?) Colt 45 SA sell for? A friend of mine has one that had been reblued and slightly rusted before. Since the collector value was already gone, he nickeled the ejector rod housing and cylinder and reblued the rest. It has plastic pearl grips. He thinks it's a 2nd generation; it has a slotted push pin for the keeper of the base pin. He is also guestimating that the gun is from the 1940's. The serial number is 26XXXX.Any feedback would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the input. I kinda feel the same way about original vs shooter vs whatever. Someone told me that according to the serial number, it is a 1905 gun. The numbers match in all the right places and most of the lettering an logos are there. Other than the Colt Cowboy, I don't think I've seen a Colt Single Action in any condition set out on a table or auction for less than $750 - $1000. I need to think about it real hard before a I make a serious offer. I don't want to offend him by going too low, nor do I want to make too high of an offer for him to jump on right away. I'll try and fish out a ballpark figure from him. Any other info or tips are still appreciated.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's a 1905, first generation Colt. Personally, I'd strip the nickle plate and reblue the ejector tube and cylinder before attempting to sell it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It 'WAS' a 1st Gen 1905 Colt SA. I took it to a local gun shop that I do business with to help me date & ID the gun. I was asked if I was going to sell it; I said I might take it to the next gun show to have some fun harassing the dealers. I was offered $900 for the gun. I no longer have a Colt 45 SA; but, I can say that I have owned one!