In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

May I ship a pistol if I am not an FFL holder?

gusirisgusiris Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
edited September 2001 in Ask the Experts
I am not an FFl or Curio license holder and have sold a pistol on this website. May I ship the pistol myself as long as it is to an FFL holder and I verify the license number? Thank YTou.Gus

Comments

• badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Of course you can. It must be sent to a ffl and you can ship only by USPS or Fed ex. Be sure to get a copy of the ffl you send it to.
  • 74cuda74cuda Member Posts: 417 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    badboybob probably meant UPS and not USPS. Only FFL's can use the US Postal System to send to another FFL. Non-FFL's must use a common carrier, such as UPS or Fed-Ex.
    "In God We Trust........All Others Go Thru NCIC"
  • nmyers@home.comnmyers@home.com Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hopefully you will ask the buyer to send enough to cover the cost of shipping the pistol by Next Day Air, which is required by UPS and FEDEX for pistols. (The fact that it may not go by air, or be delivered the next day, is irrelevant.) You are required by Federal law to declare that your package contains a firearm. FEDEX also requires that you "disable" all firearms.NealNeal
  • badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OOOOOOOOOps. Ya got me Cuda. You're right and I typed it wrong. UPS.
    So many guns to buy. So little money.
  • M.OpaliskiM.Opaliski Member Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Aside from what was already covered, you need to have a file copy of the FFL's lincense in hand, signed in ink before shipment ... no faxes, no copies, no emails. After verifying the license here you can only ship to the address listed on the license.
    Support your RKBA ... MatthewNRA Life MemberTalk Radio Junkie opaliski@hotmail.com TheFirearmsEnthusiast
  • gusirisgusiris Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    THANK YOU for all of the help. It is certainly appreciated.Gus
  • EOD GuyEOD Guy Member Posts: 931
    edited November -1
    You do not need a signed copy of the FFL from the dealer, but it is a good idea. Another document would be a letterhead or business card with the first 3 and last 5 numbers of the FFL. You could then check the validity of the license on the BATF web site. A certified copy is only required in transfers between licensees. Also, federal law does not require that you notify the carrier that a package contain a firearm as long as you are shipping to a licensee. Notification is only required if you are shipping to a non-licensee. (There are several instances when shipping to a non-licensee is permitted.)
  • M.OpaliskiM.Opaliski Member Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Federal law does in fact require that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. Ref - 18 USC 922 (a)(2)(A) and 922 (e)
    Support your RKBA ... MatthewNRA Life MemberTalk Radio Junkie opaliski@hotmail.com TheFirearmsEnthusiast
  • EOD GuyEOD Guy Member Posts: 931
    edited November -1
    M.Opaliski,Check your reference again. It says that notification is required when sending to OTHER THAN a licensee. I have letters from BATF confirming that notification is not required when shipping to a licensee. They admit that the answer in the FAQ section of the "Green Book" is incorrect.On the other hand, if you don't declare, forget about any insurance claims.Rich